We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: $15,000 Pirate Fine Escalated  (Read 2608 times)

Offline Oliver

• DX Legend
  • Germany
    • View Profile
    • Email
$15,000 Pirate Fine Escalated
« on: April 11, 2015, 1750 UTC »
A day after FCC Commissioner Michael O’Rielly called pirates broadcasters a “scourge,” the FCC escalated a $15,000 fine against Jose Alejandro Aguilar for operating a pirate radio station in Louisville, Ky.

The Enforcement Bureau’s Chicago Office first proposed the penalty against Aguilar in April 2014 for operating an unlicensed station on 87.5 and 99.5 MHz in Louisville.

Following up on a complaint, an Enforcement Bureau agent traced the unauthorized signals on both frequencies coming from a rooftop antenna of a commercial building in July 2013. The building owner told the FCC that the tenants who leased the space and ran the station were “Radio Pasion 316.”

Aguilar showed up while the agent was talking with the building owner, and admitted he operated the station without a license — twice — according to the bureau. The agent warned him to stop transmitting immediately.

He didn’t respond to the Notice of Apparent Liability, said the bureau in its decision, so the fine has now progressed to a forfeiture. “The fact that Mr. Aguilar continued to operate the radio station notwithstanding the warning demonstrates a deliberate disregard for the commission’s authority and its rules, warranting a significant penalty.”

Aguilar has 30 days to pay. If he doesn’t, the case may be turned over to the Justice Department for collection.

O’Rielly proposed that a law used to fight email spammers be modified to allow broadcasters to go after pirates directly, which may entail getting Congress involved.

Source: http://www.radioworld.com/article/-pirate-fine-escalated/275494
RX: Elad FDM-S2, Grundig Satellit 700
Ant.: HDLA 3 (Active Loop)@315°, EWE @270°, ALA 100LN, MiniWhip
QTH: JO31 (Germany)

Please send eqsl to: oliverinusa[at]yahoo.de

Offline John Poet

• Lansing, Michigan, USA
  • I survived the Mad Lagomurph
    • View Profile
    • Free Radio Cafe forums
    • Email
Re: $15,000 Pirate Fine Escalated
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2015, 1910 UTC »
"demonstrates a deliberate disregard for the commission’s authority and its rules"

I told ya, they're stuck on that phrase.

So am I.

Sticks and stones can break your bones, but words make for a funny station ID, especially if you know from whence comes the phrase in question.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 1913 UTC by John Poet »

John Poet

"A treasonous voice of dissent"

The Crystal Ship Shortwave
Free Radio Cafe Forums

Offline ByteBORG

• DX Legend
  • It Is Our Nature...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2015, 2038 UTC »
I knew I've heard that same ol' drivel before...

Now I'm sure...

;P
+ Always listening for that elusive RF...
+ microtelecom Perseus / FunCube Dongle Pro+ / FT450-D / FT101-D
+ RF Sys EMF  / RF Sys MLB w/Long Wire / HomeBrew Inverted "V" cut for 43 mtrs.
+ 73 & Good DX !!!
+ Please eQSL to: s<dot>csiki<at>comcast<dot>net

Offline diymedia

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2015, 1011 UTC »
The "escalation" was the conversion of an NAL to a Forfeiture Notice (regular stuff). Mr. Aguilar just has to submit three years of tax returns showing he can't pay, and the fine will get knocked down to three or four figures. Or he can just ignore it, because the FCC has no meaningful mechanism to collect its own fines.

Offline radioreddz

• Maryland
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2015, 0550 UTC »
yup he should just ignore it and let them send it to the justice dept collections it will go under some bodies desk calendar thanks goodness the DOJ & FCC are less then ZERO
listning to the world on 200' of wire  assisted by a host of Hallicrafters,Icoms,Heath Kits and Radio Shack radios.  Stevo in Maryland