We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Book - Signal Analysis for Radio Monitoring  (Read 2478 times)

Offline K5KNT

• Ogden, UT USA
    • View Profile
Book - Signal Analysis for Radio Monitoring
« on: November 21, 2016, 1303 UTC »
Is anyone familiar with this book? The author is Roland Proesch. I'm thinking about getting it, but would be interested to know if others have it and their opinions.

Thanks.
K5KNT

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
Re: Book - Signal Analysis for Radio Monitoring
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2016, 0100 UTC »
I have not, but did find a preview of the book at the author's website:
http://frequencymanager.de/TH/files/KurzfassungSignalAnalysisforRadioMonitoring.pdf

Minneapolis, MN

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2016, 0230 UTC »
I have this book, as well as a couple other of Rolands works.

"Signal Analysis for Radio Monitoring" is a good resource.  It tells the basics of digital signals, defines how to determine modulation types and baud rates, and generally helps to categorize signals.

While it is very good at helping you figure out the modulation specifics, it is not good at, nor is it supposed to be, telling you what kind of signal it is or the source of the signal.

Let me give an example.  The book tells you all the information you need to figure out that a given signal might contain 12 QPSK, 120 Bd, channels and a 3300 Hz pilot tone, and it tells you what is meant by each of these features.  But it does not tell you that based on these features this is most likely a Russian AT3004D or AT3104D modem.

This might be because one of his other books, "Technical Handbook for Radio Monitoring HF", does tell you that if you have a signal with 12 QPSK, 120 Bd, channels and a 3300 Hz pilot tone it might be a Russian AT3004D or AT3104D modem.

"Signal Analysis" can sometimes be hard to follow, it is not necessarily laid out in a way that flows well from section to section.  However, I have to say, I do not know what could be done to improve it, so maybe just the subject does not lend itself well to logical flow.

The book references specific software in examining features of a signal, this software is Adobe Audition 1.5, Sound Card Oscilloscope, HOKA Code 300-32, and PROCEED.  Most people probably do not have that exact suite of software, and the book could be improved by using more common or generic software examples.  However once you figure out how to use what software you do have to do similar tasks the examples in the book can really lead you well.  And if you understand what is being done in each case (aptly described in the book), and not just try to match the images in the book, it is very useful.  The book does contain the information you need, in most cases, to use other software, but there is a bit of a curve in doing that.

T!
T!
Mojave Desert, California USA

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2016, 0232 UTC »
https://planesandstuff.wordpress.com/2014/03/14/book-review-follow-up/

That review is not for the book in question, "Signal Analysis for Radio Monitoring".  Rather that review is for another book by the same author, called "Technical Handbook for Radio Monitoring HF".

T!
T!
Mojave Desert, California USA