We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Decoders (General Question)  (Read 2923 times)

vhavrilko

Decoders (General Question)
« on: February 19, 2017, 1441 UTC »
ALCON,

I have a WinRadio Excalibur and a Perseus and was wondering what are good decoders "free or otherwise" to decode RDFT, FSK, RTTY, CW, and SSTV that work with these units. I have a Windows 10 64-bit operating system.

Thanks,
U123

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Decoders (General Question)
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 1536 UTC »
For RDFT there is really only one generally available answer, DIGTRX, unfortunately it does not run under Win 10.  It runs OK under XP, and with Win 10 I have had decent luck running it under XP in a virtual machine, this is a bit hit or miss though.

FSK and RTTY come down to the same mode in general, although you might have to be a bit more specific on what kinds of FSK and RTTY you want to work with.  FLDIGI works for many of these signals, however you might have to set up custom configurations for the various types.

MMSSTV is the easiest free software that does SSTV, although I have never tried to run it under Win 10.

And for CW, again FLDIGI does a decent job.

T!
T!
Mojave Desert, California USA

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 1731 UTC »
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline TheRelayStation

• 5150 Khz AM 60W Hack RF
    • View Profile
    • Live Streaming
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2017, 2027 UTC »
For RDFT there is really only one generally available answer, DIGTRX, unfortunately it does not run under Win 10...
apologies for cross posting but i found a solution after "digging" into the DIGTRX program itself.
https://www.hfunderground.com/board/index.php/topic,32986.0.html
5150 Khz AM 60W Hack RF
shortwavepirate@aol.com
https://vaughn.live/cabletv

vhavrilko

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2017, 1528 UTC »
Thanks to all of you for the response.  I also received some very useful information from Ary-B.