We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Chris Cornell, lead singer of Soundgarden, dies at 52  (Read 5770 times)

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
Re: Chris Cornell, lead singer of Soundgarden, dies at 52
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2017, 2347 UTC »
There was a lot of that in the music. He wrote songs with titles like "Pretty Noose" and "Like Suicide" that make it real tempting to play armchair psychologist and speculate just how long he had been thinking about it.
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2017, 1605 UTC »
Mt question is was he murdered by some micromanaging bitch like Kurt or did he off himself.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2017, 1602 UTC »
Toxicology report;
http://people.com/music/chris-cornell-toxicology-report-reveals-prescription-drugs/

I was expecting him to be on an antidepressant. You know, the modern antidepressants that state right on the little sheet of paper that the use of the medication may instill thoughts of suicide or homicide? How is that an antidepressant?
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2017, 1705 UTC »
I read an interview with him, can't remember when it was, I think it was around Superunknown or thereabouts, where he said there weren't many times since his youth that he wasn't depressed to a certain degree. If I remember correctly, he said that's where a lot of the music came from, the feeling of it.

RE Day I Tried To Live, I think that was in response to Kurt Cobain's death, or possibly Andrew Wood's addiction / death. I think during the same interview, Cornell alluded to something of that nature...

The tone of the music and lyrics of Soundgarden's music always struck me as something other than suicidal in nature, I thought Cornell would live forever.... Just had a fighter quality about his persona, but obviously, there was a lot going on inside him that was hard to figure, and now such songs as Pretty Noose have a different feel to them.

I used to sing that song in karaoke, and do a decent job of it. I don't think I'll be able to sing it for a while, because of the words....

RE: the toxicology. I wonder how much of the barbiturates was due to needing sleep? I.e. a sleep medication, as opposed to misuse? From reading the article, it looks like it may have been a mishap, and the side effects led him to do something maybe he wouldn't otherwise have done. I guess we'll never truly know.
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).