We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Papilio Polyxenes  (Read 36974 times)

Offline Davep

• DXing Phenomena
  • Va Beach Va
    • View Profile
Re: Papilio Polyxenes
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2017, 0141 UTC »
Good on ya !  You don't have to use the Chinese :D , it's just I get a double from recycling.  Keep us posted .  
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 0145 UTC by Davep »
Va Beach Virginia
Modified Dx 394 audio Altec Lansing ACS43
Folded dipole

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2017, 1553 UTC »
When I was in fourth grade we had a science project on praying mantises. It was sponsored by the state dept of Agriculture. We were sent out gather mantis egg cases off plants and hatch them out in the spring. The cases were left in boxes in a closed, unused, unheated classroom until the spring when we would bring them into our room at higher temps to hatch out and open in terrariums.

As that was the last year the school was to be open, the school was being serviced by rotating maintenance men and janitors as the former janitor had retired the spring before. They came in a few days before Christmas break was over to fire up the boiler and turn on the heat. They turned the heat on to ALL the rooms. When the cooks and teachers came in bright and early on the first day of the second semester, there were mantises all over that school. They had to call in the exterminators. We got an extra week off until the building was declared insecticide free after a good airing out.

It didn't do a lot of good, we were still catching mantises until they shut the place down in June.

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2017, 0554 UTC »
While driving through South Dakota a few weeks back, I noted a LOT of butterflies, many appeared to be monarchs fluttering about the winds.  The downside, a lot of them wound up on the windshield :(  I don't recall seeing so many of them in the past.  Maybe its weather related, but they seemed to be endless for the better part of 200 miles.

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline Davep

• DXing Phenomena
  • Va Beach Va
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 1830 UTC by Davep »
Va Beach Virginia
Modified Dx 394 audio Altec Lansing ACS43
Folded dipole

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2017, 1732 UTC »
1. The other day I was going to work and as I was getting into the car I noticed a wasp atop a mantis, I was thinking wasps don't hump mantis do they so wtf is going on? The wasp had apparently stung said mantis and was eating it from the rear end forward while the mantis feebly tried to stop the proceedings. Insects have no compassion.

2. The other other day I was getting into the car and had picked up a hitch hiker, a little green baby mantis rode along to work, at hiway speeds, on the open window sill. I named it "Spencer". I suspect the mantis are in the tree I sometimes park under.

3. Does anyone have a recipe to take the bitterness out of mature monarchs? The milkweed diet makes them tangy.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2017, 0057 UTC »
1. The other day I was going to work and as I was getting into the car I noticed a wasp atop a mantis, I was thinking wasps don't hump mantis do they so wtf is going on? The wasp had apparently stung said mantis and was eating it from the rear end forward while the mantis feebly tried to stop the proceedings. Insects have no compassion.

2. The other other day I was getting into the car and had picked up a hitch hiker, a little green baby mantis rode along to work, at hiway speeds, on the open window sill. I named it "Spencer". I suspect the mantis are in the tree I sometimes park under.

3. Does anyone have a recipe to take the bitterness out of mature monarchs? The milkweed diet makes them tangy.

Wasp venom liquefies other insects from the inside out. The wasp was eating the tasty goo filling.

I had large monarch go by when I was out picking peppers this afternoon. I've seen a bunch of them over the past couple of weeks working on my wife's flowers and the neighbors hummingbird feeders, but they couldn't hold a candle when it comes to the  size to the one I saw today. The black-eyed Susan's really seem to draw them in and the honeysuckle blossoms keep them around.

I'd cut the honeysuckle vines, but Al ties them to his ankles to land dive from the top of the beech tree when he visits. It's his people's customary sport. When explorers rediscovered him in New Guinea he was All Island champ. He still tries to claim he's Michael Rockefeller, but that's another story.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2017, 1835 UTC »
Is Mike the one who died humping a hooker?

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2017, 1846 UTC »
We have lots of moth caterpillars on the milkweed this year, but unfortunately I have not seen any Monarch caterpillars yet. We had quite a few last year.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2017, 0326 UTC »

Nah, that was Mike's Dad. Mike went off to collect tribal art in New Guinea on the Asmat Coast in the very early '60's after college. One of the trade items he brought with him on his trips were steel axes, the Asmat tribes were still using stone for tools and weapon. The people of the Asmat he traded with and observed, were involved in frequent conflicts neighbors, and longtime headhunters for centuries. They quickly put them to work in full scale tribal warfare against their neighbors, destabilizing the entire coast.

On his last trip to the coast, he and a friend built a makeshift motorized double outrigger from oil drums, mounting a motor on it. They ran into engine trouble on their way to their destination and started drifting away from the coast. Rockefeller decided to swim for the shore as he was strong swimmer. His friend stay aboard, feeling they had their best chance sticking with the boat. The friend was found the next day by fishermen, Rockefeller was never seen again, despite an extensive search by both the Dutch govt. who held that part of New Guinea, and another financed by the family.

As near as anyone can tell, he either drowned, or was killed, according to several local men who year's later gave an account of finding him on the coast. There was a misunderstanding between Rockefeller and the men, neither being able to communicate with one another. When Rockefeller made a sudden unexpected move, one of the men ran him through with a spear. It didn't kill him, cooler heads prevailed, and they decided to take him back to their camp. He died on the way, according to this account.

When the men got to the camp with the body, they caught word of a massive search going on for a White guy along the coast, and knew they were in for it when if it was found they had killed the fellow. They had to get rid of the body and decided the best way would be to get rid of him in a traditional way. So they ate him.

However, there are nearly as many theories about the disappearance of Michael Rockefeller as their are about the assassination of JFK. Read about them, a Google search will get you started, and pick your poison. I just like the latter of the above two because there was sensationalist article making the rounds in my teens titled, "Is This The Man Who Ate Michael Rockefeller?", with a picture of the supposed diner with a spear in a traditional headdress. Seeing that pic was a real, "Screw with a Melanesian, become long-pig." moment. lol.

Fansome

« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2017, 0424 UTC »
I guess he disagreed with something, and it ate him.

Nah, that was Mike's Dad. Mike went off to collect tribal art in New Guinea on the Asmat Coast in the very early '60's after college. One of the trade items he brought with him on his trips were steel axes, the Asmat tribes were still using stone for tools and weapon. The people of the Asmat he traded with and observed, were involved in frequent conflicts neighbors, and longtime headhunters for centuries. They quickly put them to work in full scale tribal warfare against their neighbors, destabilizing the entire coast.

On his last trip to the coast, he and a friend built a makeshift motorized double outrigger from oil drums, mounting a motor on it. They ran into engine trouble on their way to their destination and started drifting away from the coast. Rockefeller decided to swim for the shore as he was strong swimmer. His friend stay aboard, feeling they had their best chance sticking with the boat. The friend was found the next day by fishermen, Rockefeller was never seen again, despite an extensive search by both the Dutch govt. who held that part of New Guinea, and another financed by the family.

As near as anyone can tell, he either drowned, or was killed, according to several local men who year's later gave an account of finding him on the coast. There was a misunderstanding between Rockefeller and the men, neither being able to communicate with one another. When Rockefeller made a sudden unexpected move, one of the men ran him through with a spear. It didn't kill him, cooler heads prevailed, and they decided to take him back to their camp. He died on the way, according to this account.

When the men got to the camp with the body, they caught word of a massive search going on for a White guy along the coast, and knew they were in for it when if it was found they had killed the fellow. They had to get rid of the body and decided the best way would be to get rid of him in a traditional way. So they ate him.

However, there are nearly as many theories about the disappearance of Michael Rockefeller as their are about the assassination of JFK. Read about them, a Google search will get you started, and pick your poison. I just like the latter of the above two because there was sensationalist article making the rounds in my teens titled, "Is This The Man Who Ate Michael Rockefeller?", with a picture of the supposed diner with a spear in a traditional headdress. Seeing that pic was a real, "Screw with a Melanesian, become long-pig." moment. lol.

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2017, 1405 UTC »
According to the wikipedia article, they were 12 miles from shore. Strong swimmer or no, that's a marathon distance for someone who was probably a sprinter. People have a way of grossly underestimating distances like that. When I lived in Seattle, every now and then some swimmers would have to be rescued from their usually spontaneous decision to swim across Puget Sound. Sure, the other side looks close but the ferry to Bainbridge Island still takes 30 minutes to cross while motoring at an average speed of 16 knots.
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2017, 1756 UTC »
I guess he disagreed with something, and it ate him.

http://instantrimshot.com/

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2017, 2238 UTC »
According to the wikipedia article, they were 12 miles from shore. Strong swimmer or no, that's a marathon distance for someone who was probably a sprinter. People have a way of grossly underestimating distances like that. When I lived in Seattle, every now and then some swimmers would have to be rescued from their usually spontaneous decision to swim across Puget Sound. Sure, the other side looks close but the ferry to Bainbridge Island still takes 30 minutes to cross while motoring at an average speed of 16 knots.

They were off the delta of a large regional tidal river when the engine conked out. He was likely swept out to sea when the tide went out. However, the idea of a Rockefeller heir being eaten by a bunch of guys with stone age technology after he'd inadvertently launched massive nearby tribal wars by introducing steel axes in his lust to outdo his father's collection of "primitive" art is just too good for me to let go.

Now back to butterflies.

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2017, 0057 UTC »
They were off the delta of a large regional tidal river when the engine conked out. He was likely swept out to sea when the tide went out. However, the idea of a Rockefeller heir being eaten by a bunch of guys with stone age technology after he'd inadvertently launched massive nearby tribal wars by introducing steel axes in his lust to outdo his father's collection of "primitive" art is just too good for me to let go.

Now back to butterflies.

It's a much better story, that's for sure. Almost O. Henry-esque in its irony.
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2017, 1807 UTC »
I must admit I've only seen few monarchs but several of the blue ones that are I guess the blue equivalent to the monarch around these parts.
And the black and yellow ones. I suspect the monarchs have spread word that I find them a delicacy.