We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Khz Spacing! New Observation  (Read 2097 times)

Offline Shortwave_America

• View Profile
    • Email
Khz Spacing! New Observation
« on: September 19, 2010, 0752 UTC »
This thread was originally the "Frequency Changes?" thread. Something I never stopped to notice until tonight was that there are different Khz spacings on each SW band. Back all those years ago, I noticed that it seemed as if everyone was trying to fight for the frequency and broadcasting over each other. You see, it appeared to me as if no one was playing by any sort of organized rules as it were.

I noticed tonight that for the most part, the 6.000.00Khz Band is much like the local AM MW stations, every ten Khz. Then I noticed as you get towards the end of the band, and bandwidth starts to run out, the stations can try to fit themselves in every 5 Khz between each other.

What is the band spacing on the 9.000.00Khz band, or the rest of the SW bands for that matter? Has anyone ever figured this out? Is there a resource somewhere? Is it something close to what the amateur bands have to stick to as far as bandwidth goes?

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Re: Khz Spacing! New Observation
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 1736 UTC »
The spacings are 5 kHz on all the HF bands, with a few stations (mostly small ones) on oddball frequencies.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Shortwave_America

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Khz Spacing! New Observation
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 0724 UTC »
Thanks, Chris! What happens is I usually will tune to where I hear the station best according to common commercial broadcast audio standards. Sometimes it's not easy to get the center frequency and bandwidth spacing, especially when you're used to just enjoying it all...this is what I get for getting more interested in the technical end of things so late in the game.