We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: We're doing it this time.  (Read 5954 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
We're doing it this time.
« on: October 01, 2017, 2311 UTC »
The HFU will be upgrading servers and software in the next week. Really. This time for sure.

You can test drive it here: http://www.hfunderpants.com/board/index.php

Note, that is a copy of the real website, taken this morning. Feel free to post on the site, send messages, delete stuff, whatever. It's just a copy, and will disappear when we make the real move. I should have the Wiki working shortly there as well. Eventually the 30 Below blog, the last post was from March 2016, so maybe I am not in a hurry?

The actual HFU site URL will stay the same after the move, and ideally there will be no glitches (haha, famous last words). Downtime should be minimal, I hope an hour or two, and will try to do it one weekday morning. I was going to do it Saturday night at 9 PM when Wolverine was on, but someone told me that would be a bad idea.

Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
Re: We're doing it this time.
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2017, 0101 UTC »
Could always ask Pedro if he has a backup server you can use during the migration.

Minneapolis, MN

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2017, 2249 UTC »
FYI: The HFU Wiki is locked for no more edits, until after the server move.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2017, 2145 UTC »
I'm targeting tomorrow, Wednesday, at 1300z for the server move.  The test moves of the message board, wiki, and 30 Below blog went OK. As of now, Tapatalk will NOT be implemented on the new server. It's a horrible mess, even by open sores standards.

Cross your fingers  ;D
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2017, 0901 UTC »
Are we there yet?

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2017, 1333 UTC »
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2017, 1339 UTC »
So far so good...
Minneapolis, MN

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2017, 1340 UTC »
So far so good...

There's a distinct lack of Squid. I will rectify that later today.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD

Offline jFarley

• Marconi Class DXer
  • near Chicago
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2017, 1440 UTC »
Looks good here. 

Been under the weather with a cracked molar and infected jaw while awaiting extraction, and was a little confused when I first tuned in to HFU this AM.

Pain killers will do that, I guess.
Joe Farley, Near Chicago
SDR-IQ / R8 / R7
Remote Resonant Loops for HF and LF / ALA 1530
Active 60" Whip / PA0RDT
QSLS appreciated to:    jfarley44@att.net

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2017, 1443 UTC »
Looks good here. 

Been under the weather with a cracked molar and infected jaw while awaiting extraction, and was a little confused when I first tuned in to HFU this AM.

Ouch! Hopefully they can quickly address that. Hopefully on some good antibiotics as well?
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD

Offline jFarley

• Marconi Class DXer
  • near Chicago
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2017, 1451 UTC »
Looks good here. 

Ouch! Hopefully they can quickly address that. Hopefully on some good antibiotics as well?

Yes; I am on a new antibiotic distilled from squid blood.
Joe Farley, Near Chicago
SDR-IQ / R8 / R7
Remote Resonant Loops for HF and LF / ALA 1530
Active 60" Whip / PA0RDT
QSLS appreciated to:    jfarley44@att.net

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2017, 1500 UTC »
Yes; I am on a new antibiotic distilled from squid blood.

Now you can pick up WABC on your filling. But only if you're inside the A&P supermarket.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD

JoeFLIPS

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2017, 1516 UTC »
I like the new HFU layout!  ;D

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2017, 1629 UTC »
Looking good. However, there are a couple of issues right off the bat.

One, the ad for the squid was covering up the login fields. I was able to input so they weren't hidden, just seems to be displaying in the wrong area.

Two, it wouldn't let me login with my memorized password the first time. I would always get that if I had had the home page up but the computer had gone to sleep since my last login (this happened with every platform and in every browser, but wasn't anything to complain about), but it's going to be a pain if this happens when I visit the page for the first time after launching the browser.

EDIT: Three, where are our stars ? ? ? ?  :'(

Thanks for all the work you put into this forum, Chris. It's a truly valuable place.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 1632 UTC by MDK2 »
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2017, 1650 UTC »
Looking good. However, there are a couple of issues right off the bat.

One, the ad for the squid was covering up the login fields. I was able to input so they weren't hidden, just seems to be displaying in the wrong area.

Yeah, I need to work on that still. I shrunk the squid, hopefully that helps.

Two, it wouldn't let me login with my memorized password the first time. I would always get that if I had had the home page up but the computer had gone to sleep since my last login (this happened with every platform and in every browser, but wasn't anything to complain about), but it's going to be a pain if this happens when I visit the page for the first time after launching the browser.

That should be a one time thing. There is a setting when you long in, how long you want to stay logged in, be sure to set that to forever.   Otherwise, it's up to your browser to store your account info (name, pwd) for auto logging into websites.
EDIT: Three, where are our stars ? ? ? ?  :'(
Thanks for all the work you put into this forum, Chris. It's a truly valuable place.

They seem to be inside those boxes by our names ::)

And yes, if anyone sees anything that seems to be working incorrectly, please let me know so I can fix it. Also, as this is an updated version of the forum software (actually written in this decade) it's going to have more features and settings than before. So it may be a case of tweaking the settings to get the behavior we want.  Maybe we make this the bug report / feature thread while we sort out the changes.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 1654 UTC by ChrisSmolinski »
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD