We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: M08a 8135 khz LSB CW 2300UTC May 22 2018 Arnie C rides again :-)  (Read 1702 times)

Offline ka1iic

• Troy, Ohio
  • Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W,
    • View Profile
    • Email
Are you ready for this one?  No? Well here it is anyway.  :-)

I was all set and ready for a M08a CW thingie but something seems to have gone wrong... (he said)
There was no CW but a nasty noise and very low in the background I heard... yep, you guessed it, HM01...  Too low in modulation to get the call up but no matter.

Let's call this an Arnie C. nightmare...  So typical (he said).  I recorded the whole thing just for a giggle but unfortunately this happens so often that the silliness is lost...

the sign off of this FUBAR was at 0009 UTC.

Just needed to let you all know about how I wasted a whole hour.... grrrrrr....

p.s. Arnie please read the operators manual OK?  Things might go better next time :-P

V.G.W.
-------------------------------------- 
Update report May 23 2018

Checked for M08a today at 1350 UTC to 1430 UTC on 8097 khz LSB and nothing was heard... could be propagation but checking the propagation reports if it was there I should have heard it.  Perhaps A.C. noticed something was amiss and is working hard to get the transmitter on-line again. :-) Let's all sing a chorus of "Too Much Tequila"

:-)

73 V.G.W.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 1443 UTC by ka1iic »
73 Vince
KA1IIC

"If you can't be anything, you can at least be annoying"

Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W, Yaesu FT-187ND, SDRplay 2, Ratt Shack 2 meter rig, and other little bits of electronics I'm not talking about, homebrewed and otherwise... so there bleech!

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
Just to confirm, you heard the data being sent, right? It wasn't just voice?
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Offline ka1iic

• Troy, Ohio
    • View Profile
    • Email
Yep... Just the voice no data and the modulation was very weak with a weird noise on the signal.

I have checked for a broadcast 3 times since and have heard nothing... Perhaps due to propagation, frequency and/or sked changes etc etc...

Perhaps Ary B. might have more up to date info???

tnx
V.G.W.
73 Vince
KA1IIC

Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W, Yaesu FT-187ND, SDRplay 2, Ratt Shack 2 meter rig, and other little bits of electronics I'm not talking about, homebrewed and otherwise... so there bleech!

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
Nice. What you actually copied was a rare appearance of V02, which is known to transmit occasionally in place of M08a. Great catch!
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Offline Ary-B

• Netherlands
    • View Profile
    • Numbers & Oddities
Sorry for the late reply, Vince. You copied indeed V02a which doesn't send too often these days. It pops up instead of M08a transmissions every now and then

73, Ary

Offline ka1iic

• Troy, Ohio
    • View Profile
    • Email
Thanks to both Ary and MDK2 for your replies.

Kinda sorta a rare one?  <heh> good thing I recorded the entire broadcast with audio and video of my SDR screen as it was happening...  I seldom have such luck... :-)

tnx agn folks...
73 Vince
KA1IIC

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground T-Shirt
by MitchellTimeDesigns