We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Comparison of current solar cycle to cycle 5 and the Dalton Minimum  (Read 1241 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
When was Cycle 5?

And I wonder if this means there will be better MW conditions.

Over the past couple years they haven't been very good here, considering the low sunspot numbers.
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
They've been solid here, but the amount of RF noise induced by modern electronics makes the issue moot. You can't tell until you get out in the country, but you better hope there isn't a cattleman using an electric fence nearby.

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Cycle 5 was 1798-1810.

I've had good MW conditions the last few years,but as Pigmeat noted the RFI levels are considerably higher than they were a few decades ago, when we mostly complained about light dimmers and TVs. No one had a switching power supply, now the typical house has a few dozen.  That's one reason I've been making an effort to RFI proof the shack as much as possible:

Replaced all ethernet cables with shielded, and got a new switch
Buried the coax feeds to all the HF antennas
Coax feeds are tied to ground at the shack and antenna ends
Regularly checking for new offending RFI sources with the SDR, taking a portable SDR and laptop around the house to locate them when noticed, then fixing them with a sledge hammer
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
What model of SDR is portable?
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
I haven't noticed an uptick in RFI at my location since 2011 or so (when I started MW DXing again after a few years' break) but the conditions just aren't as good as they were back then.

It must be a regional thing.
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
What model of SDR is portable?

The AFE822x and AirSpy both work nicely with a laptop. I take it around the house, with a small whip antenna, and locate the offending QRM source.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD