We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: and you thought WIKI LEAKS was "BAD"  (Read 1391 times)

Offline paranoid dxer

• View Profile
and you thought WIKI LEAKS was "BAD"
« on: June 21, 2011, 1633 UTC »
Radioactive tritium leaks found at 48 US nuke sites

Leaks are prolific
Like rust under a car, corrosion has propagated for decades along the hard-to-reach, wet underbellies of the reactors — generally built in a burst of construction during the 1960s and 1970s. As part of an investigation of aging problems at the country's nuclear reactors, the AP uncovered evidence that despite government and industry programs to bring the causes of such leaks under control, breaches have become more frequent and widespread.

There were 38 leaks from underground piping between 2000 and 2009, according to an industry document presented at a tritium conference. Nearly two-thirds of the leaks were reported over the latest five years.

Here are some examples:

•At the three-unit Browns Ferry complex in Alabama, a valve was mistakenly left open in a storage tank during modifications over the years. When the tank was filled in April 2010 about 1,000 gallons of tritium-laden water poured onto the ground at a concentration of 2 million picocuries per liter. In drinking water, that would be 100 times higher than the EPA health standard.
•At the LaSalle site west of Chicago, tritium-laden water was accidentally released from a storage tank in July 2010 at a concentration of 715,000 picocuries per liter — 36 times the EPA standard.
•The year before, 123,000 picocuries per liter were detected in a well near the turbine building at Peach Bottom west of Philadelphia — six times the drinking water standard.
•And in 2008, 7.5 million picocuries per liter leaked from underground piping at Quad Cities in western Illinois — 375 times the EPA limit

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43475479/ns/us_news-environment
"In the long run, the greatest weapon of mass destruction is stupidity.

"I believe in animal rights. They have the right to garlic, and butter." - Ted Nugent

Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight

Fansome

Re: and you thought WIKI LEAKS was "BAD"
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 2023 UTC »
Nothing to be concerned about; radioactive water is actually good for you. It makes a fine tonic:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eben_Byers

Of course, that was radium, rather than tritium, but I'm sure the principle still holds.

Offline paranoid dxer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 0405 UTC »
 you already glow in the dark al   that be one of the reasons you is called  SUPER FANSOME by you friends

you buyin that water from pigmeat ?!
"In the long run, the greatest weapon of mass destruction is stupidity.

"I believe in animal rights. They have the right to garlic, and butter." - Ted Nugent

Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight

Fansome

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 2129 UTC »
"Buying"? Heck, Pigmeat gives me the stuff for free! He's a great guy; all he asks is that I give him a glowing recommendation.

you already glow in the dark al   that be one of the reasons you is called  SUPER FANSOME by you friends

you buyin that water from pigmeat ?!