We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Power grid change may disrupt clocks  (Read 1147 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Power grid change may disrupt clocks
« on: June 25, 2011, 2238 UTC »
(AP)  WASHINGTON (AP) — Our power supply has been so precise that we've set our clocks by it. But time may be running out on that idea.

A yearlong experiment with the electric grid may make plug-in clocks and devices like coffeemakers with programmable timers run up to 20 minutes fast.

The group that oversees the U.S. power grid is proposing a change that has the potential to disrupt electric clocks in schools, hospitals and other institutions, according to a company presentation obtained by The Associated Press. It may also mess with the timing of traffic lights, security systems, sprinklers and some personal computer software and hardware.

Since 1930, electric clocks have kept time based on the rate of the electrical current that powers them. If the current slips off its usual rate, clocks run a little fast or slow. Power companies now take steps to correct it and keep the frequency of the current — and the time — as precise as possible.

The experiment would allow more frequency variation than it does now without corrections. Officials say they want to try this to make the power supply more reliable, save money and reduce what may be needless efforts. The test is tentatively set to start in mid-July, but that could change.

Read more:
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/06/24/ap/tech/main20074275.shtml
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

cmradio

Re: Power grid change may disrupt clocks
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 2258 UTC »
Pffft!

An experiment I did with line-clocked clocks vs. WWV has shown without this experiment thay go out a minute a month.

Problem is that oscillator based clocks (like my E5 radio) will go out 5 minutes/week!

The most accurate clock I've owned was a wristwatch by National Semiconductor bought in 1982.

Peace!

Offline The Radical

• View Profile
Re: Power grid change may disrupt clocks
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 2228 UTC »
  Well, all I know is that I have never had trouble with my battery powered clock.  However, with my VCR/DVD combination player, I have to reset the clock because it gains a minute every other day.  I don't know if that is at all relevant, but this is my observation on this matter!