We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: 3840 khz Bootlegger Net & Jammers (LSB) 05:30 UTC  (Read 18328 times)

Offline jasmine

• Seattle
  • Riding the (electromagnetic) waves...
    • View Profile
3840 khz Bootlegger Net & Jammers (LSB) 05:30 UTC
« on: June 13, 2019, 0631 UTC »
i've only been listening to hams for a short period of time but i came across a bunch of guys insulting each other with profanity , playing recordings, making physical threats etc. one kept shouting "Bootlegger Alert! Bootlegger Alert! Violation of Part 97!" one guy kept asking "have you ever done time?"

monitored from my washinton state location. at one point a guy (WA7BZI) who said he was a monitor from seattle read a long letter he was sending to the FCC about the guys who he says have been a problem for years. weird stuff.

they're still at it as of 06:35 UTC
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 0723 UTC by jasmine »
SDRPlay RSP1a, Airspy HF+Discovery, Malahit Clone with v1.10D & MLA-30+ Magnetic Loop Antenna

Matt285

Re: 3840 khz Bootlegger Net & Jammers (LSB) 05:30 UTC
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2019, 1237 UTC »
Yes. 75 meters can be worse than CB radio a lot of the time. I only use the low portion of 80M

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2019, 1247 UTC »
Yes. 75 meters can be worse than CB radio a lot of the time. I only use the low portion of 80M

It's funny, I have been listening to Ch 38L lately during the openings, and it's mostly well behaved DXers. I briefly heard two OMs getting into a verbal altercation, and thought to myself "they belong on 80 meters".
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Matt285

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2019, 1937 UTC »
Funny you should say that. I have been listening to 38 LSB also lately and noticed the majority are well behaved. It wasn't until yesterday I heard a guy from Wisconsin acting a fool. I'm not sure what he was using for equipment, but I know a Yagi and some external wattage were involved. He had one hell of a signal. Probably a ham waiting for the evening 75 meter crowd to gather and just needed something to do in the mean time.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2019, 2101 UTC »
Imagine getting a license and all that equipment, placing towers and/or antennas, then using all that effort and outlay to embarrass yourself.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Matt285

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2019, 2214 UTC »
Yeah. I remember back in the early 90's working 27.375-27.999 a lot of guys were running Icoms, Yaesu's and Kenwoods on huge towers, big Yagi's and modified ham linear's along with $1200.00 rotators. Admittedly the were obviously better than the run of the mill cobra or midland, however its quite an investment to only utilize a very small amount of spectrum.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2019, 2325 UTC »
Yeah. I remember back in the early 90's working 27.375-27.999 a lot of guys were running Icoms, Yaesu's and Kenwoods on huge towers, big Yagi's and modified ham linear's along with $1200.00 rotators. Admittedly the were obviously better than the run of the mill cobra or midland, however its quite an investment to only utilize a very small amount of spectrum.

What I meant is for some HAM to put in all the time, effort, and expense, and use it only to be an ass on the air.

Matt285

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2019, 2352 UTC »
Yes Josh I see what you were saying after rereading your post. I was experiencing a brief period of oxygen not getting to my brain and went off course . You are absolutely right. It's a of very expensive and time wasting investment to troll people via RF.

Matt285

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2019, 0024 UTC »
Damn it.. I did it again... Note to self. Only Five beers before posting and not Six.

Offline i_hear_you

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2019, 1654 UTC »
I was listening to 5830 early this morning around 0500 UTC and as it faded out, I switched to 80m to make sure it wasn't my radio or antenna, and caught these jackalopes on 3860.  When I see mental illness on the sidewalks in downtown Chicago I shrug it off as sad but harmless.  However, I find something dark and sinister about such insanity paired with the financial resources and intelligence to get on-air recordings, edited in near-realtime, booming out with a huge signal on 80m for the sake of...I suppose just being noticed.

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2019, 2254 UTC »
As bad as 3840 LSB can get (and I have a particular interest in this one because one of the regulars, KØAXE, is only about 28 miles from me as the crow flies - I wonder if I'll ever run into him at the local HRO or any ham gathering in town), I have to say that it amazes me that W6WBJ is still on the air with a license now 12 years expired, which the FCC won't renew, but which he can keep using because he's apparently a skilled enough attorney to keep the appeals going. His determination to jam the WARFA net on 3908 with some of the worst garbage you've heard on the ham bands is a measure of both determination and profound mental disturbances. Probably one and the same with this loon.

I've heard him live on 3840 a couple of times. He's with his kind of people there.
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2019, 0338 UTC »
This is another reason I like 2M and 432 SSB. You just didn't hear the nasties, like you are on 75 - 80M, 40M, and even 20M. Oh, and for decades 10M has had its come and goes with weirdness, albeit it seems better up there, lately. Thus far, 17M, 12M, 6M, and 60M, seem pretty tranquil. And, I hope that it stays that way. Hey... There's always 222MHz to get back to. 222.100MHz SSB transverters anyone?
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline shadypyro

• British Columbia Canada
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2019, 0457 UTC »
Haven't been able to get them up my way due to propagation conditions
Tecsun PL-880, MLA-30 plus loop antenna. Various sdrs.

Please eQSL to deserthawk1990@hotmail.com

Offline jasmine

• Seattle
  • Riding the (electromagnetic) waves...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2019, 0443 UTC »
they're at it again.
SDRPlay RSP1a, Airspy HF+Discovery, Malahit Clone with v1.10D & MLA-30+ Magnetic Loop Antenna

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2019, 1903 UTC »
There's even a 440 repeater in socal that carries much the same bunch with the same repertoire. Can't recall the freq but they're famous for having fcc investigations and so on.

You have a vfo, roll it somewhere else lest you become tainted.