We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Repeal of Smith-Mundt Act?  (Read 1447 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Repeal of Smith-Mundt Act?
« on: November 11, 2011, 1228 UTC »
From the Engineering Radio Blog

In a somewhat surprising development, the Broadcasting Board of Governors, who oversees the operations of the Voice of America would like to repeal some parts of the 1948 Smith-Mundt act, which prohibits them from broadcasting domestically.  Does this mean that the VOA will become a government broadcaster like the BBC and CBC?  I don’t rightly know.  The BBG is also proposing to greatly curtail HF (AKA Shortwave) transmissions, favoring a combination of Satellite to FM and IP network delivery methods.  The BBG is also proposing defederalizing the VOA (AKA privatization).  Perhaps one of the current large broadcasters, e.g. Clear Channel or Cumulus will be interested in purchasing the VOA brand name.

With the repeal of the Smith-Mundt act, does this open the door for some form of domestic shortwave service?  I have commented several times on the ability of HF radio to cover large distances with moderate power levels.  The 1,000 watt non-directional CFRX on 6070 KHz is good example of this.  Most hours of the day, it is listenable at my location, some 300 miles distant from the transmitter.  I enjoy listening to Toronto news and talk as much as any other.  Lower frequencies and moderate power levels would be an interesting experiment.

http://www.engineeringradio.us/blog/2011/11/trends-in-terrestrial-broadcasting/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+EngineeringRadio+%28Engineering+Radio%29
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

cmradio

Re: Repeal of Smith-Mundt Act?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 0848 UTC »
LPSW makes sense to reach sparsely populated areas effectively. There's vast areas of the southwestern states that could be efficiently served with LPSW :)

Peace!

*edit*

IMO, CBC should spend less on redundant transmitters in metro areas and more on LPSW for the northern territories for example...
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 0854 UTC by cmradio »