We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Rare Photos of Revolutionary Veterans Who Lived Long Enough to Have Their PIC's!  (Read 1419 times)

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
How's this for American History?!?!     https://www.tablazed.com/2018/11/rare-photos-of-revolutionary-veterans.html

Anyone related to any of these vets?
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline Ct Yankee

• Marconi Class DXer
  • 2 of our 4 food groups in Durham CT - Play ball!
    • View Profile
    • Email

More head scratching, the last Civil War widow died in 2004:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/3765811.stm
Tecsun H501x (broadcast received on this unless noted), Zenith T/O G500, Zenith T/O Royal 7000, Emerson AR-176, Zenith 8S154, T/O 7G605 (Bomber), Tecsun PL-600, Tecsun PL-880, Zenith 5S320, Realistic DX 160 using 40 feet of copper wire.  With apologies to Senator Gramm for his thoughts on firearms, "I have more radios than I need but not as many as I want."
QTH:  Durham, Connecticut (rural setting, 15 miles north of Long Island Sound)
qsl please to:  jamcanner@comcast.net  (Thank you)

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
The Civil War thing doesn't surprise me. Those then young ladies were "pension hunters" who would marry the old goats to get the pension benefits. As the legal widow they collected the pension for life. One got her claws into my Grandpa's great-Uncle which caused nearly a century of knockdown, drag-out fights. Uncle Charlie rode along with his neighbor to get revenge for the sacking of VMI during the War. They invaded Chambersburg, PA., told the residents they wouldn't harm the town if they put their valuables in the wagons. After things were loaded up, they set the town on fire and headed back to Virginia.

His old house collapsed in the late 1960's, about the time metal detectors got cheap. To this day you'll still spot people on that lot, going over the same ground hundreds of others have swept for 50 years. Happy hunting, that silver and gold went straight to Richmond after the raid.

One of my illustrious ancestors was teen militia man in the Revolution, one of "The Overmountain Men." British Major Patrick Ferguson started talking crap about them on his march into the Appalachian foothills where he met his end. A bunch of the militia fired a volley at him from nearly 200 yards with their long rifles. Ol' "Feather Hat Ferg" didn't stand a chance. That ancestor was also at Yorktown. When I was about 8 we stopped at Kings Mt. Battlefield, on the way to Florida. As was customary, we all pissed on Ferg's grave. I think park rangers keep a closer eye on it now, but I recommend it highly.

I'm fairly sure there is a photo of the ancestor in the State Archives. He and the handful of Revolutionary soldiers left were invited to see this thing that ran on rails called a "steam locomotive" in the 1850's They had a group pic taken beside of it. The city big-wigs asked him what he thought of it, He said, "Not a Helluva lot.", mounted his horse and rode the 20 miles back to the farm.

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
The Civil War thing doesn't surprise me. Those then young ladies were "pension hunters" who would marry the old goats to get the pension benefits. As the legal widow they collected the pension for life. One got her claws into my Grandpa's great-Uncle which caused nearly a century of knockdown, drag-out fights. Uncle Charlie rode along with his neighbor to get revenge for the sacking of VMI during the War. They invaded Chambersburg, PA., told the residents they wouldn't harm the town if they put their valuables in the wagons. After things were loaded up, they set the town on fire and headed back to Virginia.

Sherman settled the score with Atlanta  ;D
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
I'se related to right honorable Jeff Davis o' the federacy, an if'n 0bammy's related to the same Davis clan, we'se related too! I'd claim relations to both the only president of the Confederacy as well as the 1st Black US president, but everyone knows clinton was the first black president.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
Said Jim Carville. LOL!

I remember Bill Cooper being on the Art Bell Show during the 2000 election, when Gore was campaigning via RV. Bill claimed the reason they were doing it was Al was a vampire and needed the blood they kept in the fridge to function. He was dead serious.

I wonder what Cooper thought of Carville? Jim didn't look like any human being I ever saw.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
Hmmm. I was always under the idea gore was made of wood.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
So are Keith Richards and Iggy Pop. They do just fine as long as they don't stand in one place. Then they sprout roots. It's Hell to get them out of your yard once they're established.

HFUnderground Mug
HFUnderground Mug
by MitchellTimeDesigns