We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: 50 to 75 ohm 1/12 wavelength coaxial transformer  (Read 2374 times)

Offline JimIO

• QTH I.O. MA
    • View Profile
50 to 75 ohm 1/12 wavelength coaxial transformer
« on: December 23, 2019, 2156 UTC »
I have a VHF FM transmitter with a 50 ohm output. I want to make a 50 to 75 ohm 1/12 wavelength coaxial transformer so I can use 75 ohm coax to connect it to an antenna. I want to use F type compression connectors to join the coax sections together. I need some 50 ohm coax with most of the dimensions of RG6 (except the O.D. of the center conductor). Looking around I see RG5 and maybe LMR300. Looking some more I can't find a source for small quantities of either one. Does anyone know if LMR300 would be compatible wit F compression connectors and a source for RG5 or LMR300 by the foot?

~

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 50 to 75 ohm 1/12 wavelength coaxial transformer
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2019, 0119 UTC »
Why the interest in F connectors?  If your equipment has them already that's one thing.  Otherwise, adapters from F to N, BNC, and SMA exist.

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline JimIO

• QTH I.O. MA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2019, 0259 UTC »
I know there are other ways to do it.  I have the coax and F connectors and tools.
I have F chassis connectors and RG58. I could make it with that but I would need something to mount those to and drill holes and solder. If I can get the proper coax I can make what I need in less time than it takes a soldering iron to heat up.
The transmitter will put out 5 watts or 15 watts. What do you think about using just 75 ohm coax at 5 watts?

~

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2019, 2234 UTC »
If you're feeding a dipole, feedpoint impedance is going to be 70 ohms anyway.  Vswr will be around 1.3:1 under those conditions.

+-RH

Offline pinto vortando

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2019, 2103 UTC »
Built a 1/12 wave coax matching section here several years ago to use RG6 with a 6 meter rig (50 ohm output),
didn't seem to make enough difference with the SWR to be worth the effort.
If you do decide to go ahead with the 1/12 wave match, be sure to include the velocity factor in your calculations.
Das Radiobunker somewhere in Michigan

Offline JimIO

• QTH I.O. MA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2019, 0029 UTC »
I made a post a little earlier but its not here. Must have been a wifi dropout.
Anyway, I'm going to just screw the RG6 to the F to BNC adapter and be done.

I want to make a coaxial colinear antenna out of RG6. What's a simple cheap and strong way to do the shield to center conductor cross over connections?

~

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2019, 0142 UTC »
I want to make a coaxial colinear antenna out of RG6. What's a simple cheap and strong way to do the shield to center conductor cross over connections?
~

Due to the aluminum jacket, you won't be able to make solder connections.  I would use something like RG-400 or 0.141" coax to make a colinear.  The jacket is tinned, making assembly quite easy.

+-RH

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2019, 1245 UTC »
I've seen RG-58 and 59 with a copper jacket and F connectors for cable tv applications. It matched up well for HF work w/o a tuner. It hard to find and wants to kink. I finally cut the connectors off and switched back to BNC's.

75 ft. is the shortest run of the F-connector stuff I've ever ran across at stores that carry CATV coax. If you've got a buddy who's a cable guy, see if you can get a reel end from him? You can put any connector you want on it then.