We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Man without a life....  (Read 4702 times)

Offline R4002

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
    • R4002 - YouTube Videos
Re: Man without a life....
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2020, 2005 UTC »
  Just a simple update -  channel 38 LSB-
   The loud obnoxious turd here in Western NY has been exposed.   Another local station plastered his photo and address upon "11 meter box" Facebook and Twitter accounts.   
  A hornet nest is sturring, now the turd insists on upgrading his radio tower this spring.   
   I am happy to lay low and QSY if necessary. 

Resigned- 45auto

Generally that will get the offender to stop transmitting - at least as often.  CBers can be a mean-spirited bunch.  Of course, the same can be said about ham operators!   I've heard more than a handful of threats over the CB channels, anything from outright death threats to "I'm going to stick a pin in your coax when you're running your amplifier" types of threats.

Kage, I used to have an AnyTone Smart CB.  Actually a pretty nice little radio, and it has the export frequencies and FM mode right out of the box.  Most CB equipment sounds at least okay with the stock radio settings and stock microphone.  Upgrading to an amplified mic or doing a mild "peak and tune" will make AM audio loud - as long as its not splattering or overmodulating.  I have a Galaxy 959 that has several mods done to it - the Galaxy rigs have so much AM audio to spare that running it with the mic gain past 60-70% causes overmodulation.  Sure it sounds loud as hell, but it sounds even better when the mic gain is backed down and modulation peaks are right at 100%.  One of the nice things about that particular radio is it actually has a modulation meter built-in (and the meter is accurate enough for adjusting mic gain). 

U.S. East Coast, various HF/VHF/UHF radios/transceivers/scanners/receivers - land mobile system operator - focus on VHF/UHF and 11m

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2020, 2353 UTC »
They've been around since CB radio was carved from the Amateur Service.

I once saw an old man fight in a supermarket lot over who snagged the most dx back in the call letter days. "Fight" may be an oxymoron for what occurred. They put 'em up, one guy bum rushed the other, ran into the guy's forearm, and hit the pavement. The "winner" got in his truck and drove off.

Our defeated CB warrior got a ride to the hospital in the funeral parlor ambulance. They took you to the hospital and hauled you back to the funeral parlor for a nominal fee if you died. Our brave warrior lived to fight another day.

Offline R4002

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
    • R4002 - YouTube Videos
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2020, 1158 UTC »
They've been around since CB radio was carved from the Amateur Service.

I once saw an old man fight in a supermarket lot over who snagged the most dx back in the call letter days. "Fight" may be an oxymoron for what occurred. They put 'em up, one guy bum rushed the other, ran into the guy's forearm, and hit the pavement. The "winner" got in his truck and drove off.

Our defeated CB warrior got a ride to the hospital in the funeral parlor ambulance. They took you to the hospital and hauled you back to the funeral parlor for a nominal fee if you died. Our brave warrior lived to fight another day.

Awesome.

Pigmeat is right - the original 26.96 MHz - 27.26 MHz allocation was taken from the 11 meter amateur band...and that became the original 23 channel Class D CB service.  27.235 MHz and 27.245 MHz (as well as other frequencies in the 27.4 MHz - 27.9 MHz region) were allocated to business users, 27.255 MHz being shared with paging and telemetry as CB channel 23 (it still is).  When they went to 40 channels in 1977 they added 27.235 MHz as channel 24, 27.245 MHz as channel 25, then 27.265 MHz as channel 26 up to 27.405 MHz as channel 40.

27.430 MHz, 27.450 MHz, 27.470 MHz, 27.490 MHz, 27.510 MHz and 27.530 MHz are still allocated to land mobile radio...and yes, there are a few systems still using those frequencies (nearly all of them using 27.43 MHz, 27.45 MHz, 27.47 MHz or 27.49 MHz - 27.51 MHz/27.53 MHz are allowed CB power levels only). 

Of course, the 25-28 MHz region is peppered with freebanders, hunting clubs, DXers, Latin American taxicab companies, fishing boats, truckers using their “company channel” etc etc
U.S. East Coast, various HF/VHF/UHF radios/transceivers/scanners/receivers - land mobile system operator - focus on VHF/UHF and 11m

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2020, 1914 UTC »
I'll admit to terrorising the airwaves with one of these overpowered behemoths when I was 14;
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 1907 UTC by Josh »
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.