We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: SDR reception  (Read 2058 times)

Matt285

SDR reception
« on: February 14, 2020, 0048 UTC »
I recently acquired an RSP2 receiver and it seems to work pretty well, but I have noticed I cant seem to hear the time station on 10.000 mhz, when I'm able to hear even on my grundig portable. 5.000 mhz and even 15.000 during the day seem to work fine, but 10mhz doesn't receive. I seem to hear music instead? Same antenna set up I used with my Icom receiver? Also when I tried to listen to myself on 2m 145mhz the signal audio is weak. I know this is hard to answer not knowing my settings etc.

Offline NJQA

• Virginia
    • View Profile
Re: SDR reception
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2020, 1330 UTC »
First thing I would check are the gain settings.  If they are too high, you will get odd behavior.  There is some guidance in this video.  If you are trying to listen to yourself on 2M, overload seems like a definite possibility.

https://youtu.be/bGHwY8JWaGE

I have also noticed 10 MHz WWV reception is not as good as I remember and this is on multiple receivers.  It also seems like there might be some local interference.  It could also be propagation conditions too.

Offline NJQA

• Virginia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2020, 1339 UTC »
Look at this video also.  Same thing.

https://youtu.be/L_DdPI1gdfk

Matt285

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2020, 1347 UTC »
Thanks guys!

Offline nickcarr3151

• Bellevue, WA
  • The only easy day was yesterday...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2020, 1933 UTC »
The RSPdx is a replacement for the highly successful RSP2 and RSP2pro SDR receivers, which have been extensively redesigned to provide enhanced performance with additional and improved pre-selection filters, improved intermodulation performance, the addition of a user selectable DAB notch filter and more software selectable attenuation steps.

This is a fancy way of them saying the RSP2 has issues and thus it needed a re-design.  Buy the RSPdx instead.  :)
Perseus SDR + Wellbrook ALA100LN (60m loop), Wellbrook 1530S+
ICOM 7000 + Zero-Five 10/40 GP Vertical
Xiegu G90
Motorola XPR/XTS Portables, Uniden scanners, Whistler Scanners
Airspy Mini SDR + DSDPlus + Diamond D3000N Discone

Matt285

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2020, 2007 UTC »
I probably will in the future. This is a good start though to learn the SDR concept and I got a fair deal on the receiver.

Offline NJQA

• Virginia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2020, 1344 UTC »
The RSPdx is a replacement for the highly successful RSP2 and RSP2pro SDR receivers, which have been extensively redesigned to provide enhanced performance with additional and improved pre-selection filters, improved intermodulation performance, the addition of a user selectable DAB notch filter and more software selectable attenuation steps.

This is a fancy way of them saying the RSP2 has issues and thus it needed a re-design.  Buy the RSPdx instead.  :)

Or it is a way of saying that the SDR market is highly competitive and you have to bring out improved products to stay ahead of your competitors.

Can you provide a reference regarding these “issues”?  EHam gives it a score of 4.8 from 30 reviews.  SDRPlay is a solid company with popular products and lots of tutorials.

I don’t think the RSP2 has any more “issues” than any other SDR in this price range.  All of these SDRs have common issues regarding front end filters and needing to be careful not to transmit near them, even the expensive ones.

IZS4, I think you will be happy with your RSP2...there is a lot to learn about SW settings, but you are going to have fun doing so.

Matt285

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2020, 1542 UTC »
NJQA, Yes It is a lot of fun so far. It's a bit of a learning curve coming from a standard receiver, but I'm enjoying all the benefits of being able to see whats going on across a wider spectrum in real time. There are some great videos online that I've learned a lot from so far. I just installed a new discone with hard line, but I'm not able to finish getting the coax into my radio room today. Looking forward to finding new VHF/UHF stuff to monitor.

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground House Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns