We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Radio Jay's review on a new Sangean table radio.  (Read 1654 times)

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
Radio Jay's review on a new Sangean table radio.
« on: June 09, 2020, 1858 UTC »
Yeah, only AM / FM, but might be decent to chase AM night DX,    https://radiojayallen.com/sangean-wr16-wr16se-am-fm-table-radio/
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline N0TLD

• somewhere in the Ozarks
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Radio Jay's review on a new Sangean table radio.
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2020, 0404 UTC »
Just read the review, yessir. It does indeed look like another solid entry from Sangean, and at the price, very interesting. I like Sangean's radio products a lot... though I have never been a big fan of the 909 or 909X models (they are solid, good receivers but overall performance for me is simply not as 'great' as it seems a lot of other users want me to believe) but that has nothing to do with my high opinion of most of their other radios, especially the truly great portable and tabletop FM/AM (and often Bluetooth-added) models they've been putting out over the last decade or so. I admire Sangean -- they seem to be one of the few consistently serious radio manufacturers left in the world.

And I admire good ol' Radio Jay Allen. I've been enjoying Jay's site for maaany years, never miss a review... and I follow every update to the 'mega shoot outs' of AM and FM radios with keen interest. My opinions tend to synch (sideband selectable? :) ) pretty closely with his about most of his lineup. I may have to spring for this Sangean model to see if I will still agree! :)

Mike
N0TLD
Kenwood TS940s/at; Kenwood TS450s/at; modified Icom R75; modified Sony ICF2010; Panasonic RF2200, RF2600, RF2800, RF2900; Zenith Trans-Oceanic R-7000-2; numerous other vintage multi band receivers; Silvertone 4565, Grundig 2440U, Hallicrafters S38 and numerous other vintage tube radios; numerous homebrew crystal sets; numerous homebrew long/randomwires and loops including a 290' Loop On Ground with a homebrew 9:1 transformer; Par EF/SWL sloper; Wellbrook ALA330 and ALA1530LNP loops; 5/8 ground plane vertical.

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
Re: Radio Jay's review, site and Radio Survivor interview?
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2020, 1904 UTC »
The Radio Jay site is indeed a fun site to get lost in,   https://radiojayallen.com/    And, how I remember hearing about him was when I aired the interview of him on a very early Radio Survivor,   http://www.radiosurvivor.com/2017/03/14/podcast-84-improving-radio-reception/     It is more on improving AM / FM reception, but Radio Jay does talk about his site here, and I'm glad that he did. Yeah... No tech specs on his radios, and he says that up-front, but wants his site so that the average person can go through it.
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline N0TLD

• somewhere in the Ozarks
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Radio Jay's review, site and Radio Survivor interview?
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2020, 0608 UTC »
The Radio Jay site is indeed a fun site to get lost in,   https://radiojayallen.com/    And, how I remember hearing about him was when I aired the interview of him on a very early Radio Survivor,   http://www.radiosurvivor.com/2017/03/14/podcast-84-improving-radio-reception/     It is more on improving AM / FM reception, but Radio Jay does talk about his site here, and I'm glad that he did. Yeah... No tech specs on his radios, and he says that up-front, but wants his site so that the average person can go through it.

Right --  he does keep it all very accessible and comprehensible to the reader/radio hobbyist of average intellect. There are points where he delves a little deeper (especially in his repair/restoration articles) but he always mentions it beforehand, sort of 'warns' the reader he is about to get more technical than usual. It all makes for a great site.

And I thank you for the link to the interview/your podcast, will check it out right after I post this reply. :) 

Mike
N0TLD
Kenwood TS940s/at; Kenwood TS450s/at; modified Icom R75; modified Sony ICF2010; Panasonic RF2200, RF2600, RF2800, RF2900; Zenith Trans-Oceanic R-7000-2; numerous other vintage multi band receivers; Silvertone 4565, Grundig 2440U, Hallicrafters S38 and numerous other vintage tube radios; numerous homebrew crystal sets; numerous homebrew long/randomwires and loops including a 290' Loop On Ground with a homebrew 9:1 transformer; Par EF/SWL sloper; Wellbrook ALA330 and ALA1530LNP loops; 5/8 ground plane vertical.

Offline chanito

• S.Texas
  • RF Exposeur
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Radio Jay's review on a new Sangean table radio.
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2020, 2003 UTC »
Curious Sangean can come up with this, but not a MW/HF/VHF tabletop at the same price point, which IMHO is high for that radio. Thing is, it would hit the SWL market as well as clock radio users. People who don't SWL would simply ignore that band.

I would buy one then. Not sure why they restrict SWL's to awkward portables. Same guts, different case.
PCR-1000, PCR-1500, RSP1A, RSP1, VR-120D, HDT-1, Accurian HD, Royal 3000
Caras HF-315, Belar LP-1A, SuperAntenna MP-1, RatShack 20-043 discone, MLA-30, 100' wire