We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Watch The Resurgence Of Amateur Radio – A Silver Lining Of COVID-19  (Read 998 times)

Offline Beerus Maximus

• Administrator
  • DX Legend
  • Boston, Massachusetts
  • hold my beer and watch this
    • View Profile
    • Beerus' 30 Below Site
    • Email
From one of the internet's preeminent nautical shipping sites (who would have thought?)...

During times of peace and prosperity, the death of traditional radio isn’t a problem on anyone’s radar but, COVID-19 has reminded us that we need to be prepared for the unexpected, especially considering the fact that modern systems like satellite radio are vulnerable to cybersecurity threats. The good news is that HAM radio has seen a resurgence during the past few months. Around the world, thousands of new amateur radio operators have used their time in quarantine to study for a radio license and many standby on HF stations like 14.300 MhZ to provide free information and services to ships.

https://gcaptain.com/watch-the-resurgence-of-amateur-radio-a-silver-lining-of-covid-19/
# Genetically engineered sentient sausage & undisputed inventor of the end-fed dipole. I also invented the schlumpy dipole.
# KiwiSDR, NetSDR, Airspy HF+, Airspy HF+ Discovery, TS-590, IC-7610, FTDX10, ANAN 7000 DLE MKII
# beerusmaximus@gmail.com * North Shore, Massachusetts

Offline Kingbear Radio

• Universe
  • Kingbear Radio
    • View Profile
Great news! Hams are always talking about thinning ranks as new technologies have excited younger people more, so I hope it helps Bring back FRS, too, and CB!
K-Bear Radio

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
I would have thought that the radio hobbies would explode more as well, but that's not what I've noticed. I've actually noticed less Amateur Radio, CB, MURS, GMRS, and FRS, activities around me. Could be just the usually summer dulldoms, in which the radio hobbies will be active again this fall. Or, could be cancel culture, to where people are now just too afraid to say anything fearing a backlash. We'll see...
Recently, a co-worker quizzed me on, "What would happen if you were to apply reverse polarity to the Energizer Bunny?". Having no idea, I asked, "What would happen?". The answer is he'd keep coming and coming and coming...

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground House Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns