We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: VHF Aircraft Communications  (Read 2849 times)

Offline HulkSmash

• Ohio
    • View Profile
    • Email
VHF Aircraft Communications
« on: October 11, 2020, 1615 UTC »
Hello - I have a ICOM IC-R7000 receiver and I can hear all kinds of aircraft communication on 125.08 MHz (AM). The aircraft are commercial airlines. My question is this, I can hear the aircraft call into a traffic control tower but I never hear the tower response. I only can hear what the pilots say. Why is this?

Thanks!
QSLs Appreciated! Send to: HulkSmashRadio@gmail.com

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Re: VHF Aircraft Communications
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2020, 1914 UTC »
VHF communications are line of sight. The planes are tens of thousands of feet in the air, so you can hear them. You cannot hear ground stations unless you are relatively close.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline HulkSmash

• Ohio
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2020, 1918 UTC »
Okay, makes sense. Thanks Chris for the explanation.

Offline autovon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2020, 1930 UTC »
An abreviated explanation.   You have your airport/departure/arrival frequencies.  Then you have your en route frequencies.

The first are typically located nearby the airport, and if you're close you can hear the ground TX and the aircraft.

For enroute, the ground TX sites are all over the place.  I put the 125.075 in the search and it might be a TX site out of Zanesville, OH.  Depending on where you are in OH, Indianapolis Center or Cleveland Center control the enroute.  You can go through radioreference and see if you have any sites close by.
Default RX location is Wisconsin using various wire antennas. Other RX will be noted.

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
Re: VHF Aircraft Communications? Chit-chat FREQ.
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2020, 2155 UTC »
Wanna' fun aviation FREQ to check out? Listen anytime on 123.450MHz AM. That's like the CB CH19 equivalent for air traffic. At 2AM, you can hear cargo planes talking like truckers from several states away. Ya never know what, or whom, you might hear on that FREQ.
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline HulkSmash

• Ohio
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: VHF Aircraft Communications? Chit-chat FREQ.
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2020, 2211 UTC »
Wanna' fun aviation FREQ to check out? Listen anytime on 123.450MHz AM. That's like the CB CH19 equivalent for air traffic. At 2AM, you can hear cargo planes talking like truckers from several states away. Ya never know what, or whom, you might hear on that FREQ.

I'll give it a shot - thanks!

Offline sat_dxer

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2021, 1621 UTC »
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/iran-threat-air-traffic-control-general-qassem-soleimani-revenge/

No frequency given, no F¢¢ mentioned, of course this is C-BS, who tried to scare the pants off of people with cellular phones and scanners back in the 1980's
Most times & frequencies posted are only an approximation.

Offline NJQA

• Virginia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2021, 1438 UTC »
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/iran-threat-air-traffic-control-general-qassem-soleimani-revenge/

No frequency given, no F¢¢ mentioned, of course this is C-BS, who tried to scare the pants off of people with cellular phones and scanners back in the 1980's

I saw the FAA bulletin.  It was on a 6 MHz HF frequency (I don’t recall which one) and was heard by a Jet Blue flight (some 300+ miles away), along with the FAA (Collins) operators.  There were some other broadcasts too.  Since everything is recorded, there are recordings.  They seem to think the transmitter was local to the ground station.  The FCC and law enforcement was involved.

In light of everything that occurred yesterday, could this have been a planned distraction?  Maybe to reduce the number of people in the Capital building?  That seems to make more sense than the Iranians telegraphing their actions.

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground House Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns