We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Building your own RF spliters  (Read 1479 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Building your own RF spliters
« on: November 08, 2020, 1501 UTC »
Two of my recent RF projects, a 2-1 and a 3-1 splitter for HF and down. Wound on FT50-75 cores.

I use 1 pint "paint cans" for many of my RF projects, the lid provides a good surface for connectors and deadbug construction, testing is easy, then put it on the can for RF shielding when you're done.

First up, a 2-1 splitter based on this design, with a different resistor value: http://www.dxing.info/equipment/rolling_your_own_bryant.dx

Here's a nanoVNA plot of one of the outputs vs the input, mag(S21), the red line. Resistive load on the other output port. Not terrible, but not exactly close to what you'd expect, too much loss on the higher frequencies:

Next, a 3-1 splitter. This time, I just wound four identical windings, about a dozen turns each, no attempt to get fancy and match impedances or anything.

And the nanoVNA plot. Resistive loads on the other output ports. I think it's better  :)

« Last Edit: November 08, 2020, 1601 UTC by ChrisSmolinski »
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline RobRich

• DX Legend
  • Tampa, FL USA
    • View Profile
Re: Building your own RF spliters
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2020, 0641 UTC »
Like the project, and thanks for the VNA plots. 8)

Admittedly, recently I took the lazie... err, slacker approach to the issue for HF signal splitting to multiple receivers. I bought an used A/V distribution amp. Probably going to have to poke at it to better limit EMI/RFI and perhaps decrease the active gain a little, though. Maybe when I get around to hooking up the various receivers, which could be sometime between in a few minutes and possibly never. :slack:
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 0659 UTC by RobRich »
Tampa, FL USA | US Map Grid EL88
Airspy HF+ Discovery | KiwiSDR 2 | 2x Msi2500 Msi001 | 2x RTL-SDR V3 + NE602 | 2x RTL-SDR V4
148' Loop-on-Ground | 31' Vertical | 18' End-Fed Vertical | 9' NCPL | PA0NHC MiniWhip

Offline syfr

• View Profile
Re: Building your own RF spliters
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2020, 1603 UTC »
I built the 4 port active splitter documented here

https://www.qsl.net/ko6bb/multicoupler_2.html

It works well, and the amp just makes up for the 3dB loss every time the signal is split (12dB total gain).

You can try it with :   mykiwisdr.hopto.org:8074

« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 1615 UTC by syfr »
Kiwsdr x 2. TenTec Paragon/NRD535