We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Un ident growling, reverb more, 6925 at about 0340z  (Read 3511 times)

Offline SW-J

• Dallas, Texas
    • View Profile
Un ident growling, reverb more, 6925 at about 0340z
« on: January 03, 2009, 0344 UTC »
Could not get more as I caught the tail end of something!

Now muffled, w/reverb, cannot make it out .... too much compression.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 0348 UTC by SWJ »
o Icom IC-756ProII, ProIII, Alinco DX-70, Kenwood TS-680s
o WinRadio G303e, Degen/Kaito 1103/DE1103, Stoddart NM-25
o 1/2 wave 80m Dipole used with several tuners
o Tuned loops from 2' thru 16' diam. capable of 160m thru 10m

Offline SW-J

• Dallas, Texas
    • View Profile
Re: Un ident growling, reverb more, 6925 at about 0340z
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 1550 UTC »

Update: a minute's worth of the last part of the broadcast -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yd3ltLlIDwY

Offline desmoface

• NE Ohio
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 1553 UTC »
Good catch SWJ, thanks for the post.

Steve
Kenwood TS-870SAT
Full Wave 80 Meter Horizontal Loop ~ 260 Ft Long
Pse qsl to Kb8viv @ yahoo . com
NE Ohio

Offline SW-J

• Dallas, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 1603 UTC »
Thanks Steve.

Also, here is a recommendation to 'those' out there: follow the lead of Ann Hoffer, not so much compression, but a well balanced audio signal stressing more the mid-range frequencies so that voices are understandable with the -weak- signals that we usually have ...

Offline bobby_blaze

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009, 1849 UTC »
An exciter works just fine for that.  :)
Compression is not the problem, most of the time. Over-modulation is the culprit.
Since most good transmitters have a line audio input, there's occasionally the temptation to boost the signal, just to make it louder. Just enough will do exactly that. Too much and you just get unintelligible crap. (Technically called "clipping".)
Amateur equipment usually doesn't have a VU meter to monitor that stuff, so it's just a matter of tweaking the volume on your input source.
It's trial and error, but part of what makes the hobby so damn much fun. 
« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 1853 UTC by bobby_blaze »

Offline SW-J

• Dallas, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2009, 1937 UTC »
Well, 'clipping' is a form of compression (allbeit a non-intended form technically usually involving the PA stage), defined as a non-linear state where x no longer equals y with some scaling factor 'a' where a represents the gain (amplification) factor of the amplifying stage.

The only to really have told if it was the final amplifier stage being in a state of 'compression' (e.g. the 1 dB compression point as a figure of merit in dealing with 'linearity' in the design of equipment) or if the station was actually running too much compression from an audio processor of some sort would be to have obsserved any 3rd or 5th IMD products (commonly called splatter) that were output from the transmitter. I surely didn't have enough signal strength here to deermine that!

Sorry for the long response; too many years dealing with these technical issues up close ...

Offline Zoidberg

• DX Legend
  • Gopher Stomp, Texas
  • i c u
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2009, 1239 UTC »
That was Toynbee Radio.  The Web got better copy.  Between us I was able to transcribe most of it, including the segment with heavy reverb.  Here's my FRN log:

1/3/09, 6925 USB
0305 UTC: Toynbee Radio with more cryptic comments, either quotes from or influenced by the Toynbee Tiles. Only a few phrases intelligible through noise: "...Freedom of Information Act..." and "...it's clear in my mind..."
0315z: Back with comment about Palstar R30 "...to listen to old friends... I'm hoping you're listening and will respond to the transmitter. Goodbye."
0320z: Hmm... Toynbee Radio seems to be advising me to get a radio with tubes, the better to enjoy electromagnetic pulses. "All you have is your silly computer radio."

Gotta admit, these cryptic messages are intriguing. Kinda like watching a Samuel Beckett play.

(Gopher Stomp, TX - via the mystical Palstar R30C and fugloop antenna)

Not sure if same op, but since around 0338z, occasionally hearing voice with heavy reverb sound fx. Not able to copy any words clearly, but vocal patterns seem similar.

Transcript of Toynbee Radio segments, based on my audio clip and Web's better quality clips:
The first segment or two were familiar Toynbee themes - "When I caught a fatal disease they gloated over its death," "...hellions...", evil corporations and their lackeys in the news media.

After that, Toynbee Radio began riffing on themes that seemed to incorporate the Tile-style and pirate radio.

"...in need of a radio...get a Palstar...Palstar Radio...(for seven) hundred dollars...Palstar...(?)...the best bang for the buck...trying to make contact with long lost friends. Toynbee Radio."

"...Palstar R30...that is the radio... (which is the best for the money)... to listen to old friends...intercept them...I am hoping they are listening and will respond to the transmitter. Goodbye."

"...why did you get a non-existent WinRadio, you worthless piece of crap. Get something with tubes, something that glows, something that will re-... resolve among the electromagnetic pulse when it (?)...all you have is your silly computer radio...(?) jungle...yeah...Toynbee idea...Kubrick 2001...resurrect dead on planet Jupiter!"

Echo/reverb fx segment:
"...you are listening...I know you are...(unintelligible)...General Electric, GE, you stand accused of the same horrible maladies (inflicted?) on Jupiter... the revolution...know what it is...Toynbee Radio...will (faded)..."

Thanks, Toynbee Radio! Always ... intriguing!

Edited 8 minutes, only clear at beginning, otherwise lost in muddy static: http://www.mediafire.com/?ihjw2ywdgqi

For those who dare delve into the mysteries of Toynbee, here's a link to the first known log of 2008: http://www.hfunderground.com/board/index.php/topic,519.0.html
There are a few others, searchable via the HFU archives.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 1308 UTC by Lex »
That li'l ol' DXer from Texas
Unpleasant Frequencies Crew
Al: Palstar R30C & various antennae
Snoopy: Sony ICF-2010
Roger: Magnavox D2935
(Off-air recordings.)

Offline SW-J

• Dallas, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2009, 1521 UTC »
Wow - thanks again Lex for the yeoman's work!