We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: AM 540 unid driving me crazy!  (Read 2178 times)

Offline Chanter

• Madison, WI, U.S.
    • View Profile
AM 540 unid driving me crazy!
« on: September 08, 2012, 1911 UTC »
I've got an unid as of a couple nights ago, and as the subject says, it's driving me bats!  I snagged it at 4-something in the morning local time, and trying to match it to any webstream out there got me a whole lot of nowhere.  Granted I was trying to do so by programming after the fact, as I'd taken the radio away from the local RFI for purposes of DXing and then come home, but nothing I found even came close to sounding right.  I know this wasn't a harmonic, as I distinctly heard 'cuarenta' as part of the station's ID; I couldn't get the rest of it, grrrrr!  Here's my log.  Anybody have a clue? 

540, UNID, 0906-0923.  Tuned in to Britney Spears's Womanizer.  More music followed, including Rihana's Where Have You Been, a Spanish-language rock song I didn't know, and the song about 'some nights I stay up cashing in my bad luck, some nights I call it a draw.'  Who sings that?  Owl City?  Multiple difficult to copy ID's, at least one spoken and two musical, including frequency information which was audible.  Into Spanish-language talk near tune-out, including definite references to people on facebook and text messages.  Signal fair, mixing with other unknown 540's.  SIO 333. 

Yes, I know my knowledge of current pop songs is a bit lacking.  :)  I initially thought this might have been La Nortenita out of Mexico, but the webstream sounded all wrong.  Anyone know who the heck this could've been? 

Madison, WI, U.S.A. 
Tecsun PL-660, Yaesu FT60R handheld, and Realistic DX-398 (back up and running!) 
QSL's appreciated 

There's a geeklady turning that dial!
SWLer, MWLer, LW and HF beaconeer, technician class ham, DXer of all bands and program listener. 
RNW forever.

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
Re: AM 540 unid driving me crazy!
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 0438 UTC »
If your bearing on the UNID was basically N-S, XEWA in San Luis Potosi is 150 kilowatts, and I think they get out pretty well... I've logged them once here in the NW US.

Here's some info on XEWA that might help, their slogan is apparently that of another Mexican station, XEX-FM ("Los Cuarenta Principales", which I guess means 'Top 40'?):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XEWA-AM

According to this Wiki, XEX-FM is a station in Mexico City that plays Top 40:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XEX-AM
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

Offline Chanter

• Madison, WI, U.S.
    • View Profile
Re: AM 540 unid driving me crazy!
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 1224 UTC »
Thanks!  *has a sniff at that link*  XEWA was one of the stations I wasn't able to hear via webstream, as the darn thing wouldn't play.  Yes, by the way, los cuarenta principales does mean top 40. 
Madison, WI, U.S.A. 
Tecsun PL-660, Yaesu FT60R handheld, and Realistic DX-398 (back up and running!) 
QSL's appreciated 

There's a geeklady turning that dial!
SWLer, MWLer, LW and HF beaconeer, technician class ham, DXer of all bands and program listener. 
RNW forever.