We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Decent 10 > 15W 48M AM Transmitter recommendations?  (Read 1583 times)

Offline Mickpeasoup

• View Profile
Decent 10 > 15W 48M AM Transmitter recommendations?
« on: June 10, 2021, 2039 UTC »
Long time lurker, first time poster.

I'm looking for a ready built 10 > 20W transmitter for the 48m SW band. Higher power than this is acceptable, but I prefer lower power for portable hilltop use.

I've seen a couple on ebay but I can't really find any info on them or anymore examples here in the UK.

Can anyone help please?

Offline ION Radio

• LLFR!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Decent 10 > 15W 48M AM Transmitter recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2021, 2155 UTC »
Look up Stretchyman here on HFU. He'll hook you up and is from the UK. I use his TXs. Email me if you like.  :)

-IR
QTH- East of everywhere.
ICOM and 40m Dipole
ionradioshortwave@gmail.com

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2021, 1933 UTC »
Well... (Could be a deep subject here.) You could do the alternative of a full multi-mode HF rig to do the job, with minimal modifications to audio and muffin fan finals cooling. For AM, Kenwoods, Icoms, even Alinco, can do the job with a 15W carrier, even though most will MAX to a 25W carrier, but it is recommended to stay 20W, or less. Stay away from Yaesu for AM TX'ing. They will be power hungry, drawing from 15A to over 20A of current at 13.8VDC. Plus, you could do USB option. Then, have the option of the other side, the RX portion of the rig to RX on site. On the TX side, look for TX audio FREQ response, the wider, the better. On older rigs, you might be able to widen the audio. Anyway, the option of using an HF rig for HF TX'ing, as an SW TX, has been done for +40 years now. Passing though.   
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline ION Radio

• LLFR!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2021, 2143 UTC »
I've thought about an HF rig, for SSB, but not to sure about the mods needed for out of band TXing, audio input ect.
Maybe someday, for now I'll stay with AM.

Unless you know how to modify a Ham rig, Stretchy TXs are ready to go.
QTH- East of everywhere.
ICOM and 40m Dipole
ionradioshortwave@gmail.com

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
Re: Decent 10 > 15W 48M AM Transmitter recommendations? MOD's????
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2021, 2211 UTC »
MODS.DK is a great site to open many HF rigs up for wide-range TX'ing,     https://www.mods.dk/    Also, other types of modifications there for repairs, audio improvements, etc. Today, there are other sites out there as well for opening up the TX FREQ range on rigs, but this site has been around and a good resource for years.
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline RobRich

• DX Legend
  • Tampa, FL USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2021, 0103 UTC »
Wideband TX is often listed as a "MARS" mod, since that service does not align with the amateur HF bands.

Some transceivers can be fed audio through accessory jacks, including at least a few that bypass much of their internal audio processing chains if fed that way.
Tampa, FL USA | US Map Grid EL88
Airspy HF+ Discovery | KiwiSDR 2 | 2x Msi2500 Msi001 | 2x RTL-SDR V3 + NE602 | 2x RTL-SDR V4
148' Loop-on-Ground | 31' Vertical | 18' End-Fed Vertical | 9' NCPL | PA0NHC MiniWhip

Offline Stretchyman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2021, 0827 UTC »
PM sent...

Yes I am in the U.K!

:)

Str.
'It's better to give than receive' so why Rx when you can Tx!

;)