We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: KUWS, 91.3 Oklahoma (heard near Bowling Green, KY)  (Read 1928 times)

Offline WA4FHY

• View Profile
    • Email
KUWS, 91.3 Oklahoma (heard near Bowling Green, KY)
« on: July 11, 2021, 0220 UTC »
This morning, Saturday, 10jul21, I was driving southbound on I-65, returning to my home near Nashville, TN. Near Bowling Green, KY,  and just after 10.00 CDT, I turned the radio on to get my weekly Saturday morning Bluegrass mx fix from WKMS, 93.1 in Murray, KY. When I tuned to 93.1, I didn't hear my expected "Music from the Front Porch" and the radio didn't show WKMS, instead I saw KUWS-HD1. It was very unexpected that the radio should show a “K” station. My 2018 Chevy Tahoe radio has HD, can decode short text messages sent by the station, usually information about the mx that is being played but I was listening to a nx program and when I looked at the display (while concentrating on my driving) I would see a few words like "rainy", "windy", "today", and "Duluth". Apparently it was the current or predicted wx. The only city named Duluth that I know of is Duluth, MN! ~1025, an announcer said "You are listening to Wisconsin Public Radio" - WOW!!!! That station faded out just as I got to the KY / TN border and I listened to "Music from the Front Porch" until I dropped down the ridge and into the Nashville Basin.

When I got home, I did a Google search on KUWS and, sure enough, the station is a member of Wisconsin Public Radio Network and is operated by the University of Wisconsin and it is located in Superior, WS / Duluth, MN, at the end of Lake Superior and some ~600 miles from Bowling Green, KY, as the crow flies - not bad reception for a car radio.

Before I left to go to the Cave City (KY) hamfest this morning, I did a quick check of 50.313 FT-8 around 0600 CDT and saw Stateside stations making contacts into southern Europe and northern Africa, so I knew that there was some good conditions going.
SDR-IQ / IC-R70 / IC-735 / FT-817ND / FT-991A, RSPduo,5 band vertical
Near Music City, TN

Offline East Troy Don

• DX Legend
  • "If you can't convince them, confuse them" Truman
    • View Profile
Re: KUWS, 91.3 Oklahoma (heard near Bowling Green, KY)
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2021, 1650 UTC »
Great story - thanks for sharing !
Primary: Yaesu FRG-7700  Secondary: ICOM R75 Tertiary: Grundig  750. Tecsun PL-990X, Tecsun PL-880 . Malahit DSP SDR V3,  Alpha Delta  SWL Sloper antenna. : Also, 1940 Mantola am/sw tube. CountyComm GP-5/SSB hand held, Tecsun PL-380 ,et al.  QTH: EAST TROY WI  USA.  Sea Level: + 320 meters .  75 miles (but not far enough) NNW of Chicago