We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: AnyTone AT-D578UVIIIPRO Tri-Band transceiver  (Read 1482 times)

Elf36

AnyTone AT-D578UVIIIPRO Tri-Band transceiver
« on: August 23, 2021, 1643 UTC »
I was looking at the Anytone AT-778UV for a possible shack radio or even mobile for repeaters and satellites, it should program easy like the couple cheap Baofeng handhelds I use to mess around with LEO sats. The reviews seem to be decent as well for the price. Then I saw the AnyTone AT-D578UVIIIPRO tribander is $399.00. Seems like a steep price for an off brand rig, even though it supports 220. Just wondering why there would be such a large jump in price compared to all of their dual band mobile under $125.00 ? I guess I should add that it does provide more output power than the standard 25 watt models. I have never heard of much 220 activity where I live. I do remember it being a bigger deal in the 90's. A friend of mine monitors the one 220 repeater in our area and says he only hears the same 2 guys chatting from time to time.

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
Re: AnyTone AT-D578UVIIIPRO Tri-Band transceiver
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2021, 1857 UTC »
Well, if I read the features right, this rig includes DMR, (Digital Mobile Radio.), digital voice format as well. That in itself would drive the price over. And, from what I see, it's the only VHF / UHF tri-bander to have that. Here's eham reviews on it,  https://www.eham.net/reviews/view-product?id=14493   My questions are on the RX-side of this rig. The only modern Chinese multi-band rig that I've tried is the B-Tech UV-25X4 rig, and my biggest gripes there is that the IMD and front-end overload of out-of-band signals suck. I had to take that rig back out of my truck, the IMD on RX was so bad. Now, if the RX IMD on this rig is decent, then you have something there. For the same price, you can get a used, all analog, Kenwood TM-714A, with the 222MHz modual.  That's what I did in 2009, and still have that rig. And, the IMD RX is superior to the B-Tech. That said, if you are in a rural, or even semi-rural area, that's not an RF getto, then bad IMD may not be a problem for you. 
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Elf36

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2021, 1153 UTC »
Those are valid points. Still would feel a bit risky though. Other than satellites, I don't mess around on VHF/UHF much anymore, so I guess I'll stick with what I have for now.

Offline NJQA

• Virginia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2021, 1202 UTC »
The 578 was reviewed in the June 2020 issue of QST.  There wasn’t anything remarkable in terms of problems with the radio.  The worst comment I saw was that the sensitivity on 220 was slightly worse than on the other bands (it was .31 uV).  That is not surprising as 220 was probably an add on.

Several of the locals here have this radio.  I have heard no complaints.  Apparently there are different firmware loads available.  The ham version adds 220 MHz.  The commercial version gives you a FCC compliant radio for business purposes.

You also have to pay close attention to the model number of the radio you are buying.  Different models of this radio had different features.  I saw one version recently that included aviation band receive (including an AM decoder).  Other versions did not include GPS.  Pay close attention - if the price seems too good, then you might not actually be buying the model you think you are.

All of the major dealers sell the 578 (HRO, R&L, etc) and there doesn’t seem to be any difference in price.  One dealer includes access to training videos if you buy from him, but I seem to remember that he charges for shipping, so your best deal might be elsewhere.

This is a DMR digital radio, which also has analog FM.  That is why it costs what it does.  The radio is small and the display is small. 

Elf36

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2021, 1207 UTC »
Yes. I just went back and read the eHam.net reviews. Folks seem to be quite happy with them. I had forgotten also that Anytone has been around for a good while now. I remember a 10M All mode rig they made years back that seemed to hold up well also.

Offline RobRich

• DX Legend
  • Tampa, FL USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2021, 1948 UTC »
On the more terrestrial side of comms, I suppose feel thankful if you have any appreciable local VHF/UHF activity. 2/220/440 are largely open spectrum if skimming those bands using a rubber duck or small discone in my immediate area.

Admittedly, I might fair better receiving something if going to the effort of pointing a multi-element yagi directly into Tampa proper, but it has not been much a personal interest since I am not licensed anyway.
Tampa, FL USA | US Map Grid EL88
Airspy HF+ Discovery | KiwiSDR 2 | 2x Msi2500 Msi001 | 2x RTL-SDR V3 + NE602 | 2x RTL-SDR V4
148' Loop-on-Ground | 31' Vertical | 18' End-Fed Vertical | 9' NCPL | PA0NHC MiniWhip