Author Topic: I miss analog TV!  (Read 20060 times)

kmorgan

• View Profile
Re: I miss analog TV!
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2013, 0918 UTC »
I used to get three LA TV stations in the 1980s, but that was only 200+ miles away. I miss Tom Hatten running Popeye cartoons on Saturday mornings and some Hollywood flick at 1pm on KTLA, much as I miss the sleazy charm of Bill Balence's AM radio call in show.

Bump - Wow does this bring back memories!! I'll never forget Tom Hatten and his drawings. He is still alive, thank goodness.

William Hassig

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2013, 0359 UTC »
Big ten four good buddy. I remember picking up CHSJ from St John New Brunswick Canada back in the early 1960's when I was in high school. I forget what channel it was on. My location then as now was in Mt Prospect, IL 20 miles (32km) NW of downtown Chicago (but different house). Another time in the early 60's CBS2 in Chicago was unwatchable so I got out the ladder, got up on the roof and turned the antenna west. 2 channel 2's from Montana and another state took turns coming in with different programming. 3, 4, 5, and 6 were also full of stations. 7 - 13 not so much. 25 or 30 years ago I turned on the set on a Sunday morn and the dial was full of skip from 2 to 69. It was a real eye opener about what religious programming the rest of the USA watches. The hellfire and brimstone hucksters were nauseating. By contrast Sunday morning religious programming in Chicago was quite tame, mostly Catholic and some Jewish (yes this was Sunday). BTW, One time 2 years ago I did a rescan on my 40 inch 1080i TV and suddenly I was getting 16 and 22 from South Bend IN which is in the same direction as Chicago. Oh, one more, some years back I got a channel 4 from Quebec in French with a news program.
Drake R8, Kenwood R-2000, Panasonic RF-4900, Sony 2010, Realistic DX440, Grundig Satellit 500, 7mhz backyard dipole, Mt Prospect, IL 20miles (32km) NW of downtown Chicago. williamhassig@yahoo.com

AbnersFarm

• my wife Ymelda. cancer is scary. she got me home.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2014, 0416 UTC »
Adjusting the rabbit ear antenna on top of the TV set at the age of 8 and I never looked back. I only kept shooting dx

AbnersFarm

• my wife Ymelda. cancer is scary. she got me home.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2014, 0628 UTC »
Great post from William Hassig

William Hassig

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2017, 2222 UTC »
Yesterday 22 Nov 2017 was the 30th anniversary of the infamous "Max Headroom" hack of both WGN-TV channel 9 and WTTW channel 11. On the 10 o'clock news on WGN-TV they ran a story of the event. They showed off-air tapes from both stations. Back then CH9 was able to quickly change microwave frequencies between their north side studios to their downtown Chicago transmitter and the sports guy who was on at time said he didn't know what that was then kept going. 2 hours later during Dr Who, CH11 got hacked for 2 minutes and this time there was sound. CH11 was not able to switch microwave freqs in 1987 and had to endure a full 2 minutes of Max Headroom, including Max getting spanked by a female on his bare butt with a fly swatter. I recorded last nights story on DVD.   
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 2223 UTC by William Hassig »
Drake R8, Kenwood R-2000, Panasonic RF-4900, Sony 2010, Realistic DX440, Grundig Satellit 500, 7mhz backyard dipole, Mt Prospect, IL 20miles (32km) NW of downtown Chicago. williamhassig@yahoo.com