We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Japan on 17M  (Read 992 times)

Elf36

Japan on 17M
« on: November 12, 2021, 2230 UTC »
JR7TKG - Japan currently on 18.126 USB (22:18) . First Op held him up for about 6 mins. After that, it was a madhouse. No chance with my 100 watts and wire, but good to hear JA's. 7300 miles from my QTH. It may have been possible if I had stumbled upon him early, but once it hits the DX cluster, things are gonna get crazy.

Did get to Work UV5ERY - Ukraine on 40M CW @22.27. That made me feel a little better.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2021, 2250 UTC by Elf36 »

Offline RobRich

• DX Legend
  • Tampa, FL USA
    • View Profile
Re: Japan on 17M
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2021, 1635 UTC »
So when is the hexbeam going to be deployed? ;)

j/k

I know the feeling anyway, at least for my lowly 11m activity.  I can work lots of great DX with my vertical, but I feel like some interesting contacts are missed due to having an omnidirectional antenna. Seeing as I do not feel like building a homebrew yagi, plus preferring a lightweight compact solution, I have been looking more at the basic Maco V-Quad. It could be retuned eventually for 10m if desired, too.
Tampa, FL USA | US Map Grid EL88
Airspy HF+ Discovery | KiwiSDR 2 | 2x Msi2500 Msi001 | 2x RTL-SDR V3 + NE602 | 2x RTL-SDR V4
148' Loop-on-Ground | 31' Vertical | 18' End-Fed Vertical | 9' NCPL | PA0NHC MiniWhip

Elf36

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2021, 0123 UTC »
For sure. You could even use a tuner for adjustment. I definitely want to get a directional antenna at some point. Pretty luck though, to work the states and countries I'm able to though. Always thankful I'm not stuck in a condo or have rules etc. I can put up what I want. I'm only held back by the financial aspect. I hear a lot of guys on HF running Hex beams. Particularly on 20M. Going to bed early and hoping there are good conditions tomorrow. I missed a decent SO50 satellite pass today, so I'm hoping for another good pass tomorrow with good elevation.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2021, 0128 UTC by Elf36 »

Elf36

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2021, 1413 UTC »
17M has been quite good this morning. Managed to work Belgium and Finland back to back. There was also a Russian station (R60ANT) on 18.140 with a great signal, but everyone and their brother was trying to work him. I called about 10 times and gave up. There was also a station in Trinidad that kept calling back to him, no matter what call sign the DX station called back to. He also kept throwing out his call sign while the DX station was calling CQ? ):