We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Xiegu's big competition to Icom's IC-705? I'd say.  (Read 1620 times)

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
Xiegu's big competition to Icom's IC-705? I'd say.
« on: June 05, 2022, 2008 UTC »
I already have the Xiegu G90, but this looks very intriguing as well.  https://www.radioddity.com/products/xiegu-x6100   Even, as a portable SDR based RX'ing only rig.
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Elf36

Re: Xiegu's big competition to Icom's IC-705? I'd say.
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2022, 2107 UTC »
I talked to my first contact with a 705 user today It wasn't on HF as I would have expected though. I have a small dual band rig that sits on top of my HF rig and stays on 146.520 with the squelch adjusted, so it only picks up loud or local/loud stations. I looked up the rig again after talking to them. Very cool piece of equipment for sure!
« Last Edit: June 05, 2022, 2228 UTC by Elf36 »

Offline JustGreg

• DX Legend
  • Oakdale, Connecticut USA or FN31
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2022, 2335 UTC »
I have the Xiegu X6100.  In general, it is nice. 

But, it does have some spurious products.  There are not noticeable from 20 meters and below.  Atmospheric noise covers them up when connected to a decent antenna.  At 6 meters, the spurs are a problem.  I do not have a good 6 meter antenna. 

It has a lot of nice features.  The software is still being developed.  I have connected a blue tooth speaker and keyboard.  Unfortunately, there is no data connection to blue tooth process, so, the keyboard and speaker are useless.  It does use Linux and one can connect to the Linux console to see what is going on using the command line interface (CLI).  If you know Linux CLI  then this is a good feature.   

I have firmware version 1.1.5 at this time.  If you are thinking of getting one, then I would wait for the next software update.  I suspect several problems will disappear.  Xiegu via Radio Oddity is working on improvements.  The X6100 has the potential for being a very good transceiver.  If you are interested in POTA and SOTA operations then X6100 might be what you need.
Enjoy Life, JustGreg
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much
AirSpy HF + Discovery with GQRX software
40 meter End Fed Half Wave with 49 to 1 transformer.
frw.greg@gmail.com

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2022, 0751 UTC »
The Xiegu X6100 looks like an interesting HF rcvr/xcvr. Price isn't bad. The HF ham hobby needs rigs like this, actually.
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

Offline JustGreg

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2022, 1929 UTC »
Here is an update on my experience using X6100.  I used it with a 20 meter EFHW antenna out in the backyard on very sunny and warm day.  I had an external battery as a power supply with the internal charger turn off.  I had the rig set for 10 watts.  I tried several CQ with no luck.  Listen around for about a hour with no luck, propagation was no good.  I packed everything up. When I picked up the X6100, I noticed the case was a bit warm.  This is odd to me considering the minimum transmit use.

The case temperature maybe  the result of a black case in the sun.  But, it has been reported that X6100 overheats in groups.io messages.  If I use it again, then I will limit the power to 5 watts.  5 watts is the maximum power with the internal battery.  I suspect the heatsinks (mostly the case) are design for a 5 watt power output.  The Chinese designs seem to "push" limits to reduce costs.  I hope this is a help.
Enjoy Life, JustGreg
frw.greg@gmail.com

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2022, 1859 UTC »
I was interested in one till I saw only 10w out. If they could reduce the price a bit, do something about spurs, and add some user selectable decimation, it'd even sell as a swl rig.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline JustGreg

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2022, 2330 UTC »
I tried Xiegu X6100 as a general communications receiver.  It has only OK sensitivity, about the same as a good portable.  The short version is you would be better off by an AirSpy HF+ for general listening.  It has all the features you need.
Enjoy Life, JustGreg
frw.greg@gmail.com

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground House Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns