We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Which HF radios have a Tx & RX antenna port, on the back of the radio  (Read 1661 times)

Offline Coldwar kid

• KBNA
  • IC 7200, X5105 / MLA-30, W2Li-loop, GMRS license
    • View Profile
Yes 2 antenna connections on the back of the transceiver. One for transmitting & the other for receiving ?

Offline NJQA

• Virginia
    • View Profile
Some radios, such as the Icom IC-7610, have a separate Receive only antenna input that can be selected as an option.

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
Many Kenwood transceivers have a separate RX only input labeled 'HF RX ANT' , which is mainly and RCA female connector, that goes the the rig's RX / TX internal relay switching. Kind of sucks that it doesn't work past 30MHz, like for 6M. Oh BTW, not just Kenwoods, but my older Icom IC-745 transceiver has this RCA jacked loop-around connection, where unplugging that, and having only your receive-only antenna, plugged into that, works just the same.
A war is never really over. When you believe that it is, all that has been accomplished is the planting of the seeds for the next, eventual, conflict.

Offline ve6pg

• View Profile
My old IC735 has provision for a separate receive antenna. Another way to do this, without getting a different radio, is using something like a MFJ1026, or the "QRM Eliminator"..The "noise" or sense antenna can be used for a different receive antenna. You turn off the gain on your main antenna, and crank up the gain on the sense antenna..works well..

VE3IIM/VE6PG

Offline RobRich

• DX Legend
  • Tampa, FL USA
    • View Profile
You could add an external TR RF-sensing antenna switch to your existing IC-7200. The MFJ-1707B comes to mind.

There are also similar internal board available to add such a feature to many radios, but those might require research for compatibility and even require assembling the components in the kit.

BTW, you might accomplish similar with just a relay and a few volts of power using the amp key line from the radio.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2024, 0515 UTC by RobRich »
Tampa, FL USA | US Map Grid EL88
My pubic receivers: KiwiSDR 2 | Web-888 SDR
Airspy HF+ Discovery | 2x Msi2500 Msi001 | 2x RTL-SDR V3 + NE602 | 2x RTL-SDR V4
148' + 60' Loops-on-Ground | 30' Inverted Delta Loop | 31' Vertical | 18' End-Fed Vertical

Offline europirate

• DXing Phenomena
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • Email
The TS-590 has a low-level RF out on a seperate socket
JRC NRD-515 & NRD-545
SDRplay RSPdx
Various wire antennas ... Global AT-1000 ATU
Shazam is the DXer's friend!

Offline RadioMon

• View Profile
IC-720(A), IC-745, IC-751A, IC-761/765, FT-980, JST-135, TS-820(S), TR-5/TR-7 all directly support a second receiver. Meaning, dual receive (TRX and RX simultaneously).

i think the TS-830S does as well. TS-440S has a spare RCA jack that can be wired to support it. I run mine with an R-5000 as a secondary.

Why Icom didn't put such a jack on the IC-718 and 7200 is a head-scratcher.

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground T-Shirt
by MitchellTimeDesigns