We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: WorldRadio to Cease Print Publication  (Read 1836 times)

Fansome

WorldRadio to Cease Print Publication
« on: November 17, 2008, 0616 UTC »
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2008 14:12:07 -0800 (PST)
Subject: [Swlfest] WorldRadio to Cease Print Publication
To: Tarheel Scanner <tarheelscanner@yahoogroups.com>
Cc: rtpnet RARS <rars-l@rtpnet.org>, Yahoo Group NASWA
   <NASWA@yahoogroups.com>,   ODXA ODXA <odxa@yahoogroups.com>,   "QCWA YG-
   QTH.net" <qcwa@mailman.qth.net>,   Antenna SWL
   <Shortwave-SWL-Antenna@yahoogroups.com>,   SWLFest SWLFest
   <swlfest@kotalampi.com>
Message-ID: <740379.84755.qm@web56504.mail.re3.yahoo.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"

Buried at the bottom of yesterday's ARRL Letter (for those of you who get that) was the notice that WorldRadio magazine would cease print publication.
?
Those of you who know me are aware that I have always considered it a very underrated publication.? Starting with Kurt N. Sterba's "Aerials" articles (which had info of interest to SWLs as well as hams), I always found much interesting information in it, including their monthly features on Emcomm, mobile operations, and more.
?
They are being purchased by CQ Communications and will continue as a web publication.? Although I subscribe to QST, CQ, PopComm, MT and others and like them, WorldRadio has a unique style and niche that I hope won't be lost in its transition to a web-only form.
?
Here's the official notice:
?
WorldRadio to Cease Print Publication (Nov 13, 2008) -- In a joint statement, WorldRadio Publisher Armond Noble, N6WR, and CQ Publisher Dick Ross, K2MGA, announced that WorldRadio magazine will no longer be published as a print magazine. According to the announcement, CQ Communications Inc has acquired WorldRadio and plans to continue it as an online publication on CQ's Web site. WorldRadio subscribers will have their subscriptions transferred to CQ magazine. Readers will be notified of details as plans are finalized.
?
http://www.arrl.org/?artid=8601
?
BTW, on the WorldRadio web-site (link below), they have a couple of pictures from the 90th birthday party for "Mr. Screwdriver Antenna", Don Johnson, W6AAQ.? He's the granddaddy of ham radio mobile operations, and the inventor of the concept of the screwdriver antenna (a mobile antenna capable of being tuned from inside a car for wideband operation.)

www.wr6wr.com

FYI.? I just thought it deserved more notice than it was getting.

Curt Phillips W4CP
Raleigh, NC USA