We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: 570 Radio Reloj, Cuba  (Read 5308 times)

Offline Zoidberg

• DX Legend
  • Gopher Stomp, Texas
  • i c u
    • View Profile
    • Email
570 Radio Reloj, Cuba
« on: December 14, 2008, 0839 UTC »
Normally a Cuban station wouldn't be a tough catch here in Texas, but most of the time it's nearly impossible to null out the local powerhouse KRLD (whoops, make that KLIF - KRLD is 1080) on 570 enough to hear more than the frequent CW ID's for Radio Reloj.  Occasionally at night I can manage, but tonight, 12/14/08 between 0730-0830 UTC, I managed to get music and positive ID's for Reloj (voice and familiar CW).  (Again, the Magnavox D2935 proved superior to the Sony ICF-2010, with a tighter Q for nulling out more powerful local and regional stations from 540-1220 kHz.  Unfortunately the Magnavox internal ferrite loopstick covers only up to 1622 kHz and can't be used for the extended MW band.)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 0540 UTC by Lex »
That li'l ol' DXer from Texas
Unpleasant Frequencies Crew
Al: Palstar R30C & various antennae
Snoopy: Sony ICF-2010
Roger: Magnavox D2935
(Off-air recordings.)

Offline SW-J

• Dallas, Texas
    • View Profile
Re: 570 Radio Reloj, Cuba
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 0249 UTC »
For awhile I have heard the CW ID underneath KLIF (thought I was hearing things initially!) ... and it wasn't until a several years back that it came to light that it was 'radio clock' from Cuba that was the source.

I guess even Communist dictatorships have to have some means to make sure the clocks get set to 'make sure the trains run on time' but for Cuba that may mean that cigar shipments are made on time ...
o Icom IC-756ProII, ProIII, Alinco DX-70, Kenwood TS-680s
o WinRadio G303e, Degen/Kaito 1103/DE1103, Stoddart NM-25
o 1/2 wave 80m Dipole used with several tuners
o Tuned loops from 2' thru 16' diam. capable of 160m thru 10m

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
Re: 570 Radio Reloj, Cuba
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 2353 UTC »
Caught 'em poppin out the other night.

I've actually got to use a cheap radio with just the internal antenna in the "local" mode to hear 'em well. A local AM station 10 khz. away slams them on the fancier radios or when I switch to the mighty "dx" setting on ol' Rusty.