We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Little White Boxes  (Read 5353 times)

Offline paranoid dxer

• View Profile
Little White Boxes
« on: June 23, 2014, 2148 UTC »
“I’m sure none of this will be used against us.”

http://www.theburningplatform.com/2014/04/19/little-white-boxes/

"In the long run, the greatest weapon of mass destruction is stupidity.

"I believe in animal rights. They have the right to garlic, and butter." - Ted Nugent

Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
Re: Little White Boxes
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 2339 UTC »
For the children...
Minneapolis, MN

Offline Antennae

• CA, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 0321 UTC »
Here's some food for paranoid thought:

-I'm pretty sure the new Ford Fusion hybrids have drive-by-wire brakes.  There is a latency between stepping on the brake and when the brakes activate. 
-Drive-by-wire throttle basically turns the gas pedal into a "go button."  The cruise control on dodges is annoying because it doesn't keep it at the speed you selected in order to save gas. 
-Electric power steering could theoretically be used to steer the vehicle without any of the driver's steering input. 

=That makes a car that can be deactivated in a number of ways.

I wouldn't mind a 60mph speed limiter on cars in order to conserve fuel.

California Coast
Antenna: random wire

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 1609 UTC »
I wouldn't mind a 60mph speed limiter on cars in order to conserve fuel.

I like the idea of "drive as fast as you can afford."  If people want to drive stupidly fast and they can afford it, more power to them.  This country used to be full of freedoms, relying not on the law, but the common sense of the individual.  Apparently, common sense isn't very common anymore.

+-RH

PS, noting as how much of the auto industry in this country is a branch of the federal government, does it surprise you that the brakes have lag, the performance sucks, and the things don't last 10 years?  I doesn't surprise me :)
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline paranoid dxer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 1737 UTC »

PS, noting as how much of the auto industry in this country is a branch of the federal government, does it surprise you that the brakes have lag, the performance sucks, and the things don't last 10 years?  I doesn't surprise me :)

no surprise considering the so called auto industry bailout   

and the sheeple go  baaa baaa baaa
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 1741 UTC by paranoid dxer »

"I believe in animal rights. They have the right to garlic, and butter." - Ted Nugent

Offline Tom S

• SE Kansas
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 2155 UTC »
I'm glad I don't have any bluetooth devices in my car.  My cell phone has bluetooth capability but I didn't turn it on.  I don't want to look like one of those dweebs who walk around everywhere with that stupid bluetooth device in their ear.
Happiness is a good antenna system.

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2014, 0314 UTC »
Bluetooth does come in handy.  Have you ever tried to hold a phone and change a tube in a 35KW FM at the same time?  Not fun.  My main problem with them is I always loose them.  I've had 3 motorola ear-things over the years, and I've lost them all.  I refuse to buy another one.  The phone can wait until I'm done.

I'm getting so curmudgeon-y in my old age.  I don't like phones in general anymore, as they always seem to be attached to some dumbass doing something stupid in traffic.

<rant_off>

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline Antennae

• CA, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2014, 0044 UTC »
I wouldn't mind a switch that deactivates driver's cell phones either.   ;D 

And an automatic flatulence venting system in the seats would be nice.

California Coast

Offline Dr. Strangelove

• DXing Phenomena
  • Northwest Alabama
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2014, 0402 UTC »
Google "hacking into cars"   These new overpriced electronic boxes on wheels are easily controlled via bluetooth.  I'll keep driving my 62 Chevy.....I'd like to see them try to take control of that.  ;D
R-390a, WJ-8718, Rohde & Schwarz EK07 and EK56, Siemens E311, 51-J4, R8, IC-7610. All reports are from my radios and antennas at my QTH.  Please QSL to morrisgarage770@msn.com   Northwest AL EM64

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2014, 1045 UTC »
Are the boxes what the article says they are, or are they for another, less sinister purpose? That is the real question.

The fact is, if you carry a cellphone with you, and you have it powered on, you can be tracked. They don't have to mount little white boxes to track you. They can just hack into the data from the cell system.

An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

Offline Antennae

• CA, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2014, 1841 UTC »
The other day I went for a drive and took out my cell battery. It was pleasant knowing the only things tracking me were the Chinese satellites.
California Coast

Fansome

Offline paranoid dxer

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2014, 0433 UTC »
Are the boxes what the article says they are, or are they for another, less sinister purpose? That is the real question.

The fact is, if you carry a cellphone with you, and you have it powered on, you can be tracked. They don't have to mount little white boxes to track you. They can just hack into the data from the cell system.

word is even if your phone is turned off it can still be tracked
you could remove the battery but some phones have been found to contain a second battery inside them
a mylar case is susposed to work   it should be like putting it in a metal box

now as far as the boxes go
here is a novel idea   set up a cell phone jammer nearby and see how long it takes for someone to come find it
in a fairly remote area would be ideal as most people wouldn't pay much attention to their phone dropping a call while going down the road

just a idea   that someone could try    i don't have that kind of equipment

Offline Antennae

• CA, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2014, 1713 UTC »
That network makes me sick and want to barf.  But if I barfed, they could analyze my stomach contents (with smell sensors) and see what I ate for breakfast. And if I had eaten shawarma, they would come for me...

Wow, mylar, I'll have to try that out.

I heard the second battery is just a decoy.  The thing you really need to worry about is the high farad capacitor camouflaged as a button. (Its usually the thick button with extra wires going to it.)   ;)

One time I turned off 2 cell phones before entering another country by plane. Upon entering the country they both received texts from the local network with advertisements about the network. So not only did they turn my phones on, they also sent me crap...and logged my cell into The List. 
California Coast

Offline Tom S

• SE Kansas
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2014, 2137 UTC »
If you get one of those Walmart Tracfones or Net10 phones and buy the phone and minute cards with cash, they won't be able to track you at all.  Possibly they'd have your image on security camera when you buy the cards, but I doubt Walmart holds onto the recordings for long.  Or, at worst they could track your phone but they wouldn't necessarily know whose phone it is.  Just don't buy the minutes online.  And make sure you get one of the cheap phones without GPS.
Happiness is a good antenna system.