We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: iPhone hoax: No, you can't recharge it in the microwave, LAPD warns  (Read 2631 times)

Fansome

This is just the kind of thing that you have to worry about with Apple iOwners...

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-do-not-microwave-iphone-20140923-story.html

iPhone hoax: No, you can't recharge it in the microwave, LAPD warns
LAPD warns public of iPhone microwave recharging hoax
Police are warning the public about a hoax online saying the latest iPhone updates will enable the phone to be recharged in a microwave.
By Ryan Parker contact the reporter

LAPD wants you to know: Microwaving an iPhone with iOS8 installed will NOT make it charge faster
Hoax about microwaving an iPhone for faster charging seems so legit, LAPD now warning of deception

No, the latest iPhone software does not allow for the device to be quickly charged by heating it up in the microwave, despite some convincing, but very fake online ads.

Microwaving the phone will not only ruin the device, it could cause a fire or explosion, authorities said.

But a hoax floating around the Internet seemed so legitimate to some that even police are spreading the warning, as noted by the Los Angeles Police Department communications unit on Twitter.

“This #Wave capability is a #hoax. Don't be fooled into microwaving your #iPhone6. #Apple #Smartphone,” the LAPD communications unit tweeted.

In a photoshopped ad that looks authentic, the hoax claims that the most recent software, iOS8, has a feature called “Wave,” which allows for the quick charging.

The directions, which again, are a hoax, call for the phone to be “charged” for 60 seconds at 700W or 70 seconds at 800W. The fake ad even goes on to say the charging time should not exceed 300 seconds.

The charging instructions, of course, are false.

What's more, microwaving the phone could cause serious damage and injury, said Brian Humphrey, spokesman for the Los Angeles Fire Department.

"No metal object should ever be placed in the microwave," Humphrey said. "Even a little tin foil can cause a fire, so that much metal from a phone could lead to some manner of explosion."

The Fire Department routinely gets calls about microwave fires, Humphrey said. But so far, none have involved an iPhone.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
Re: iPhone hoax: No, you can't recharge it in the microwave, LAPD warns
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 1231 UTC »
What about IPads?

My wife recently got one of Satan's Tablets. It's tinny audio annoys me to no end. I was going to bury it in the back yard, but it would cause the grubs and worms I depend on for fish bait to migrate elsewhere.

10 minutes in the microwave might do the trick. I'll tell her Leo Laporte recommended the technique on his radio show.

Thanks Al.

BTW, you might want to try the microwave trick on the SDR's your SO keeps dragging home. Tell her it repairs potential loose solder joints.

Offline ByteBORG

• DX Legend
  • It Is Our Nature...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2014, 1748 UTC »

BTW, you might want to try the microwave trick on the SDR's your SO keeps dragging home. Tell her it repairs potential loose solder joints.

A little preventative maintenance. :)
+ Always listening for that elusive RF...
+ microtelecom Perseus / FunCube Dongle Pro+ / FT450-D / FT101-D
+ RF Sys EMF  / RF Sys MLB w/Long Wire / HomeBrew Inverted "V" cut for 43 mtrs.
+ 73 & Good DX !!!
+ Please eQSL to: s<dot>csiki<at>comcast<dot>net

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 1947 UTC »
Exactly.

Offline ka1iic

• Troy, Ohio
  • Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W,
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2014, 1854 UTC »
I wonder if you can roast your nuts in a microwave???   :P
73 Vince
KA1IIC

"If you can't be anything, you can at least be annoying"

Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W, Yaesu FT-187ND, SDRplay 2, Ratt Shack 2 meter rig, and other little bits of electronics I'm not talking about, homebrewed and otherwise... so there bleech!

Fansome

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2014, 1941 UTC »
Ok, now I am going to have to try this...

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2014, 2007 UTC »
Ok, now I am going to have to try this...

Nope, too easy.

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground House Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns