We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: .Your Dog Could Be a Tax Write-Off  (Read 2915 times)

Offline outhouse radio

• View Profile
.Your Dog Could Be a Tax Write-Off
« on: June 15, 2010, 0050 UTC »
http://dogs.about.com/b/2009/09/26/your-dog-could-be-a-tax-write-off.htm?r=outbrain

Imagine if your pet care expenses were tax deductible. I would wager that most pet owners have thought about it before - I do every year. After all, we can deduct our own health care expenses and many of our purchases, so why not our pets? Soon, tax-deductible pets could become a reality if a proposed bill passes.

Enter H.R. 3501: the Humanity and Pets Partnered Through the Years (HAPPY) Act, introduced by U.S. Representative Thaddeus McCotter. The proposed legislation would amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to allow taxpayers to deduct up to $3,500 per year for the expenses of legally owned pets. Best of all, it includes veterinary expenses.

According to the proposal, there are two major factors to justify the bill. First, the 2007-2008 National Pet Owners Survey states that 63 percent of US households own a pet. In addition, they acknowledge the positive impact that the human-animal bond has upon people's well-being, both emotional and physical. If passed, the legislation would be effective beginning in the tax year 2010.

To me, this is utterly amazing and, quite frankly, a bit shocking. We all know the high cost of dog ownership and that every little bit helps. This bill could bring a whole new light to saving money on our pets' expenses. Do you want to show your support for this bill and help it get passed? With the help of the ASPCA, write to your U.S. representative and ask him or her to support and cosponsor the HAPPY Act.

Now we want to hear from you. What are your thoughts on this bill? Is there a downside, or is this simply a dream come true? Tell us what you think.

cmradio

Re: .Your Dog Could Be a Tax Write-Off
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 0055 UTC »
I wish we had something like that :)

Peace!

Offline Tube Shortwave

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 0514 UTC »
We do.

My dog goes to work with me.  He provides a warning when someone is coming.  I am allowed to write off all of his expenses from vet care, food, etc.

Ask your accountant or tax preparer about it.  It's really very simple.

cmradio

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 0309 UTC »
We do.

My dog goes to work with me.  He provides a warning when someone is coming.  I am allowed to write off all of his expenses from vet care, food, etc.

Ask your accountant or tax preparer about it.  It's really very simple.

Seeing eye dog or personal assistance dog I assume?

Peace!

Offline Seamus

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 0318 UTC »
In one of the organizations to which I belong, there is the most amazing variety of pets on leashes at events that stipulate "no pets allowed".  The key is that they are all registered as "assistance animals".  You'll be hard pressed to find an actual seeing-eye or hearing-ear dog among the bunch, but there are cats, ferrets, snakes, birds, chinchillas, iguanas, and just about every imaginable type of fur, fins, and fowl there, mostly there to supposedly provide forewarning of seizures, and help allay panic attacks.  Talk to any of the owners in private however, and better than 90% of them will admit that they just didn't want to leave their pets at home for two weeks.

A pet is just a pet, but if you fill out the right forms, it becomes a service animal; you can take it anywhere with you, and it's actually a punishable violation of a person's civil rights to ask them to leave a place of business because of it.  The food, medical expenses, toys, and accessories also become a tax write-off, apparently.

cmradio

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 1132 UTC »
I wish all respected that :(

"We would rather pay the $10,000 fine than have a dog in this building!" - A local strata council response to a court imposed fine for evicting an elderly blind woman for having a seeing eye dog.

Peace!

Offline Tube Shortwave

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2010, 1518 UTC »

Seeing eye dog or personal assistance dog I assume?

Peace!

Nope.  Just a 'normal' dog that barks his head off if a stranger is coming.  I work alone at sites most of the time, so having some early warning is good for safety.

Usually his barking alone is enough to make someone go the other way.  He sounds pretty big and ferocious.  But, he's a big softy.  Plays 'dress-up' with the kids across the street.

Offline RF BURNZ

• Titusville, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2010, 1830 UTC »
Hmmmmmm, wonder if my dog would be eligible for Social Security at dog age 9 years old?