We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Caribbean Beacon-11775 kHz-Distorted Audio  (Read 2190 times)

Offline Pghw3on

• View Profile
Caribbean Beacon-11775 kHz-Distorted Audio
« on: May 06, 2017, 1554 UTC »
Hmm. This is my first post. Hopefully I can get an answer as to why the 11775 kHz transmission from "Caribbean Beacon" transmitter, located on Anguilla Island, has had for many months highly distorted transmitted audio. I tried sending them an email, with of course, no response.
My last monitoring was on:
May 3rd at 1840 UTC with SINPO of 22222, highly distorted audio, most because of interference from China Radio International.
May 1st at 1750 UTC till 2202 UTC with SINPO 33431, mostly a poor report because of highly distorted audio.

I also heard, non logged transmissions, over the winter in which their audio was highly distorted.

Maybe their are transmitting FM mode? Obviously whoever is at the controls-if they have someone at the controls, is not monitoring
their transmissions. Maybe they can get away with that on Anguilla Island, but surely not in the USA. I know if it were my transmitter
I would be ashamed to place such a highly distorted transmitted signal on the air waves.

Anway, that's my thoughts.

:'(

Offline R4002

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
    • R4002 - YouTube Videos
Re: Caribbean Beacon-11775 kHz-Distorted Audio
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 1854 UTC »
I'm listening to 11775 kHz AM right now (1850 UTC) May 10th, 2017 and the audio is extremely distorted, more or less impossible to understand what's being said.  Signal itself is strong, but there's something seriously wrong with the audio.
U.S. East Coast, various HF/VHF/UHF radios/transceivers/scanners/receivers - land mobile system operator - focus on VHF/UHF and 11m

Offline Traveling Wave

• DX Legend
  • Western N.Y.
  • Nobody told me there'd be days like these
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2017, 2052 UTC »
2050 UTC - Audio still distorted, looking back to April 12 the problem was reported by  flexoman61  ....https://www.hfunderground.com/board/index.php/topic,34056.0.html
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 2054 UTC by Traveling Wave »
Radio :TS480 with RTL-SDR pan-adapter, HDSDR software, Omni-Rig Control, Zenith T/O R600,T600
Antenna: 40m dipole, 20-17-15 meter fan dipole. One of N. Tesla's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.
Knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules. The fate of all mankind I see is in the hands of fools - from Epitaph by King Crimson
Transmit the message to the receiver, Hope for an answer someday - from Life During Waretime by Talking Heads
eQSL appreciated KC2ZYL@gmail.com

Offline R4002

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
    • R4002 - YouTube Videos
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2017, 2137 UTC »
Looks like flexoman also emailed them (twice!) about their 6070 kHz transmitter audio problems.  Looks like 11775 kHz has the same audio distortion problems.  They've been broadcasting for a while with these issues. 
U.S. East Coast, various HF/VHF/UHF radios/transceivers/scanners/receivers - land mobile system operator - focus on VHF/UHF and 11m

Offline Pghw3on

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2017, 1438 UTC »
Hello. Thank you all for your replies about the Caribbean Beacon transmitter. I have tried to contact them via email (no answer), and via
Pastor Melissa Scott's Twitter account (so far no response). I just checked today on 11775 kHz May 12th starting at 1427 UTC, and the audio is still very distorted. I would rate it as SINPO 34333 with quite a bit of fading. That audio is horrible. I suspect that Pastor Scott doesn't really care as her broadcasts are heard from other shortwave transmitter sites quite clearly. I wonder if that station was damaged by a bad weather in the recent past as I did see a Twitter post from Pastor Scott that she was happy that the Caribbean Beacon had returned to the air.
I further suspect that their is only one transmitter at the Caribbean Beacon station, and probably one antenna at the station that can probably operate on one shortwave frequency at a time using an tuner. I suspect it is probably some sort of open wire antenna. Either that or the modulation control is maladjusted. I wonder if they even have an on site radio engineer. The whole station might be remotely controlled from another location using a computer. I believe that is so common today. Anyway those are my thoughts. I think its such a shame that her technical people aren't doing something about this.  :'(
73 de Chuck W3ON

Offline R4002

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
    • R4002 - YouTube Videos
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2017, 1627 UTC »
It sounds like she's talking with a sock in her mouth on 11775 kHz.

What a shame.  Such a strong signal today too.