We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: SDR Playback app for the Mac available  (Read 2835 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
SDR Playback app for the Mac available
« on: July 29, 2012, 1558 UTC »
For some time, I've been working on an app for playing back SDR recording files. The goal has been to make it easy to slog through lots of files, looking for interesting transmissions. When you load a recording file, the app produces a waterfall for the entire file. You can then look around for signals of interest. When you find one, you drag select it, and click play to start demodulating it. You can even save demodulated audio as WAVE files for later playback, or for playing into SSTV/etc decoding programs.

The app is no where near finished, it is still pretty rough, but it is finally to the point where it may be usable for others. The webpage with a little info and the download link is here: http://www.blackcatsystems.com/software/sdr_iq_recording_playback_program.html

It works with recording files made by SpectraVue/SdrDx for the RF Space SDRs, and Perseus files as well. I don't have a Perseus, but it seems to work OK with files I have obtained from others.

Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline jFarley

• Marconi Class DXer
  • near Chicago
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: SDR Playback app for the Mac available
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 1805 UTC »
Anyone out there using an OSX emulator for Windows?  I've no experience.
Joe Farley, Near Chicago
SDR-IQ / R8 / R7
Remote Resonant Loops for HF and LF / ALA 1530
Active 60" Whip / PA0RDT
QSLS appreciated to:    jfarley44@att.net

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, 0133 UTC »
This is great. Decoding one of my 100 kHz Perseus files and listening to the Lincolnshire Poacher pirate from 7/9/2012.
Minneapolis, MN

Offline Kilokat7

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
  • West Michigan
    • View Profile
    • Kilokat7 DX
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2012, 0326 UTC »
Wish I had a Mac to play around with this.

On the windows side, SDR Console offers a similar tool for I/Q file analysis:

http://www.sdr-radio.com/

Look for the "IQ Data File Analysis" button within the console.  It also works great for quickly dredging through your overnight recordings.
PLS QSL kilokat7(at)gmail.com
Perseus SDR / DKAZ loops
1980s pirate off-air archive
West Michigan DX

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2012, 2258 UTC »
You guys do know that Al Fansome is in his secret lair,hatching a plan that will destroy all Apple devices,don't you?

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2012, 2356 UTC »
You guys do know that Al Fansome is in his secret lair,hatching a plan that will destroy all Apple devices,don't you?

I understand he's run into a little snag, apparently he ran out of FORTRAN punch cards.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2012, 0247 UTC »
I've still got a few stacks from my card machine,burster, and decollator operating career in the late 70's I can let Al have for a price.

I still have tinnitus from that damned job. I could buy hearing aids with the ducats Al will pay for those cards. SDR hearing aids with a miracle fuse,heh,heh,heh.......

Fansome

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2012, 2059 UTC »
First of all, you Neanderthals obviously haven't heard about a revolutionary new product: paper tape. It will soon make punch cards obsolete.

Secondly, I just purchased the latest from VMware; it lets you run Mac software in a virtual machine under Windows, so you no longer need ANY Mac hardware at all. When they come out with their Mac-to-Windows software migration tool, Apple will sink into the abyss.

I understand he's run into a little snag, apparently he ran out of FORTRAN punch cards.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 2104 UTC by Fansome »

Offline Taliaferro G.

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2012, 2116 UTC »
That's telling them, Mr. Fansome.  That news will have Steve Jobs rolling in his Cryogenic vat.

I do hope he doesn't disturb Mr. Disney.

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2012, 2131 UTC »
How's that acquisition of QNX working out for RIM, Al?
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2012, 2140 UTC »

They announced a new device with QNX, but no mention of punch card nor paper tape support.

BlackBerry launches new PlayBook based on QNX operating system

"PlayBook OS 2"

Meh... I'm waiting for PlayBook OS/2.

However, stock price has a ways to go...
Minneapolis, MN

Fansome

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2012, 2222 UTC »
Oh, that's a cheap shot; a very cheap shot. And to think I used to respect you...