We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Best MWDX antenna?  (Read 45492 times)

Offline ~SIGINT~

• DXing Phenomena
  • N.E. Canada (FN08)
  • .ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı.
    • View Profile
    • Milspec Communication Canada
Re: Best MWDX antenna?
« Reply #225 on: December 31, 2022, 0430 UTC »
No blocking in effect, it is your browser setting. Images are hosted over http and the HFU is over https. This is called "mixed mode". There will be a setting somewhere in the browser to allow "mixed mode" browsing. I am willing to bet that you are using a Chrome based browser. Google, the self proclaimed "Internet police", at some point elected to disallow mixed mode browsing therefore by default, all Chrome based browsers have that function disabled.

It's a scam if you ask me. There is no need for https (encrypted traffic between the server and browser) unless processing / accessing sensitive data such as on-line banking or on-line shopping yet Google has forced everyone to adopt https so that they can get that pretty little "green shield" next to the URL bar that gives people that false fuzzy safe feeling that the content they are viewing is "safe". That couldn't be any further than the truth. But hey, certificate authority companies love it. They are raking in the cash by issuing people / sites certificates. For me, my hosting provider wants $100s of dollars to install a certificate. They won't even allow me as the site owners to install my own like Let's Encrypt . BS that is. Some day I have to find another provider.

Offline RobRich

• DX Legend
  • Tampa, FL USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: December 31, 2022, 0517 UTC »
Makes sense. I did not look closely at the URLs, as like you noted, most larger sites use SSL these days.

I have added your domain to my own local treat as secure list.

chrome://flags/#unsafely-treat-insecure-origin-as-secure

BTW, I am using Chrome Canary on this tablet at the moment, but I tend to use my own optimized dev releases of Chromium on Linux, plus I do cross builds for Windows. I apply higher SIMD baselines, opt level tweaks, various additional LLVM passes, PolIy loop optimizations, etc. I have been building Chromium for years, even well before my GitHub repo releases.

https://github.com/RobRich999/Chromium_Clang
https://chromium.woolyss.com/

As I suspected, sensitivity is way down on the Kenwood R-2000 on a few HF bands. Suspect a failing cap or few, plus maybe the front-end amp and/or follower.

Tested against my R-600, which I rarely use, so naturally it is now drifting a little too much for my liking. Warm up helps, but that is annoying. Probably needs recapped as well, though I probably will check the usual R-600 suspect of cracked solder joints first.

So, want to figure out how to fit a Yaesu FRG-7 on a nightstand? lol Might have to toss a portable on there for awhile.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2022, 1440 UTC by RobRich »
Tampa, FL USA | US Map Grid EL88
Airspy HF+ Discovery | KiwiSDR 2 | 2x Msi2500 Msi001 | 2x RTL-SDR V3 + NE602 | 2x RTL-SDR V4
148' Loop-on-Ground | 31' Vertical | 18' End-Fed Vertical | 9' NCPL | PA0NHC MiniWhip

Offline ~SIGINT~

• DXing Phenomena
  • N.E. Canada (FN08)
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: December 31, 2022, 1614 UTC »
LOL, that is why I have the ICOM IC-R75 on the nightstand. The clock / timer function in that receiver is perfect for me. I have it set to 1 hour and the radio turns off automatically.

I see you have been busy with Chromium_Clang. I personally despise Chrome and most derivatives. The only version I occasionally touch when I have issues with my old locked down version of Firefox ESR is a portable version of Iron Browser. The key being "portable", no traces of Chrome junk left behind.

Now, back to scanning the house for sources of EMI / RFI. I found an unused telephone jack at the service entrance yesterday that has a buzz to it so it has my curiosity peaked. I am using an ultrasonic probe to look for leakage.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2022, 1617 UTC by ~SIGINT~ »

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
Re: Best MWDX antenna? The tower itself.
« Reply #228 on: December 31, 2022, 1856 UTC »
Actually, one of the best MW antennas that I remember making was to shunt-feed the 50ft tower that I had at the time. In the middle of the day, the NYC Big-3, (AM660, 770, and 880.), all came in at S9 from 300 miles away. Extremely low noise, being a couple hundred feet from the nearest powerlines. Originally, I did that to get on 160M, 75M, and 40M. On TX, a manual MFJ-941D tuner tuned all that in, but my GND losses were bad for transmit. However, on RX´ing, it was quite good. https://www.qsl.net/w9rb/webdoc9.htm
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline RobRich

• DX Legend
  • Tampa, FL USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: January 02, 2023, 1336 UTC »
My 148' LoG was a decent MW antenna. Still the isual nighttime issues with an omnidirectional on MW, though phasing against one of verticals could help.

Tossed a Tecsun PL-330 on the nighstand last night. Reception works okay for the particular purpose, and I used a portables on a nighstand with a grasswire antenna for quite awhile years ago. Just annoying to deal with small buttons.

Just noticed my -20dB variable attenuator was fully engaged, thus some of the low signal reports in my shortwave loggings this morning. o.0 Oh well.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2023, 1339 UTC by RobRich »
Airspy HF+ Discovery | KiwiSDR 2 | 2x Msi2500 Msi001 | 2x RTL-SDR V3 + NE602 | 2x RTL-SDR V4
148' Loop-on-Ground | 31' Vertical | 18' End-Fed Vertical | 9' NCPL | PA0NHC MiniWhip

Offline RobRich

• DX Legend
  • Tampa, FL USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: January 17, 2023, 0002 UTC »
Anyone want to take a guess on the type of RFI? It reminds me of a switching power supply due to the relatively even spacing.

I have yet to locate the source, but it is immediately nearby going by the AM radio in the car. I will try to snag a recording later.

Offline RobRich

• DX Legend
  • Tampa, FL USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: January 17, 2023, 0725 UTC »
Still not exactly where I would like it, but the RFI looks better.... for now? My LG dishwasher has a "night dry" feature that apparently keeps the electronics active and periodically runs a ventilation fan after washing. Stopped the dishwasher, and the noise floor dropped dramatically. A little attenuation or even baseband noise blanking in SDR# knocks down much what is left.

Noise is still a little elevated around 3-5MHz, but adding some attenuation around there is nothing really new here. I need to get a loop-on-ground redeployed.

Anyway, hopefully it is resolved or at least decreased for awhile.

Around S2-S4 on 40m and S3-S4 on 80m at 1540z. I am on the 31' vertical at the moment, plus that is with no attenuation, so that is not too bad IMO. Well under S1 on 10m and floating around S1 on 2m during a quick skim. I will take it compared to yesterday. ;)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2023, 1602 UTC by RobRich »

Offline ~SIGINT~

• DXing Phenomena
  • N.E. Canada (FN08)
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: January 17, 2023, 2028 UTC »
The dishwasher --- LOL. Just can't elude the modern day EMI/RFI emitters.

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #233 on: January 18, 2023, 1326 UTC »

We had to replace ours a year ago, and I got a GE with a mechanical rotary knob (just like our old one) rather than an electronic control.  No RFI, and I am extremely dubious of mixing electronics with hot steamy water. I know too many people who have had their fancy dishwashers die after just a few years.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline RobRich

• DX Legend
  • Tampa, FL USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: June 03, 2023, 2357 UTC »
I am thinking about moving the 31' vertical back to a ground-level mount over a moderate radial field.

That would free up the existing mast. Maybe add another 10.5' section, and finally deploy the delta loop design I mentioned months ago. It should work decently at mid-HF, along with becoming more like a magnetic loop as frequency decreases. I could use a preamp to deal with the wideband matching if needed.

I would like to get another LoG deployed. I have been saying that for what, a couple of years now? o.0 Oh well, it is just a hobby.

Offline kris

• Marconi Class DXer
  • N.Poland
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #235 on: June 27, 2023, 1421 UTC »
In my summer house in the evening there was a huge broadband noise on HF. I was furious until I accidentally discovered that it was a Chinese LED bulb screwed into the kitchen on the lower floor.
       My cousin wanted to do the right thing, but he's not a radio amateur .
 Also check the nearby switched on chargers - they can even give the S2 the noise visible on the waterfall.        I am trying to replace them with a version built on a traditional transformer.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2023, 1444 UTC by kris »
RX888 ( SDR-FE-PLAY, HRD-747, Sony XDR-F1HD),
Ant. Sky Loop 180m 15m AGL, Sky Loop 120m 35m AGL
       + QRM X-phase eliminator
QTH: Gdańsk N.Poland  Ru/Sp/Gr/Sb=Russian,Spanish,Greek,Serbien
eQSL appreciated to: 13krzycho@gmail.com

Offline RobRich

• DX Legend
  • Tampa, FL USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: July 01, 2023, 1741 UTC »
Finally got the 18' "end-fed" vertical back online. :) The antenna system including its old Belden RG-8 feedline checks okay via the NanoVNA.

https://www.hfunderground.com/board/index.php/topic,115496.0.html

That particular RG-8 coax drop has been through multiple antennas and locations over probably 30 or more years now. I did get around to changing connectors a few years ago.

The eight ~9' on-ground radials are now copper instead of CCA wire. Lowes has 500' rolls of 20-gauge, high-tensile solid copper RF pet fence wire for around $30.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2023, 1813 UTC by RobRich »

Offline RobRich

• DX Legend
  • Tampa, FL USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: July 06, 2023, 0748 UTC »
The 18' end-fed vertical is working decently enough IMHO. I have already worked contacts in NA and SA.

https://www.hfunderground.com/board/index.php/topic,115636.0.html
https://www.hfunderground.com/board/index.php/topic,115688.0.html

I have been thinking about deploying an 18' monopole vertical with a YCCC feedpoint preamp for LW+MW. IOW, I have a S9v18 vertical collecting dust.

Offline alpard

• View Profile
« Reply #238 on: July 16, 2023, 0914 UTC »
The 18' end-fed vertical is working decently enough IMHO. I have already worked contacts in NA and SA.

https://www.hfunderground.com/board/index.php/topic,115636.0.html
https://www.hfunderground.com/board/index.php/topic,115688.0.html

I have been thinking about deploying an 18' monopole vertical with a YCCC feedpoint preamp for LW+MW. IOW, I have a S9v18 vertical collecting dust.

What is the frequency cover range on this antenna in reception?

ICOM R71E, Lowe HF-225, YAESU FRG100, TECSUN PL-330, PL-320, XHDATA D-109, D-808, MSi001 SDR, AOR AR3030, Sangean ATS803, ATS-909X, Antenna= Random Wire+ATU, Active Miniwhip

https://twitter.com/RadioPax88
https://www.youtube.com/@RadioPax88/videos

Offline RobRich

• DX Legend
  • Tampa, FL USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: July 17, 2023, 0917 UTC »
If talking about the 18' end-fed 11m vertical, it is an old Shakespeare 318-GBT. 26-30MHz, though the workable SWR curve of mine is somewhat narrower due having a radial field under it.

If talking about the S9v18, it is just an 18' wire inside extending fiberglass tubing. Frequency range would be largely based upon how it is fed. I mentioned a YCCC preamp, which is essentially unity gain. The YCCC is desgined to establish a ~75-ohm connection bewteen a moderate, yet still electrical short antenna and the coaxial feedline.

Ideally the YCCC setup was designed be a multiple-antenna phased vertical array. That said, I previously noted decent LW to 160m receive performance with just a single end-point antenna preamp and my 31' vertical. Just no directivity, and 31' is well longer than intended thus subject to increased preamp overloading. 18' is more inline with the preamp design specs.