We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: possible weather CW, 7601 USB  (Read 730 times)

Offline Chanter

• Madison, WI, U.S.
    • View Profile
possible weather CW, 7601 USB
« on: October 20, 2019, 0223 UTC »
At first, I thought this was the Ecuadorian time signal, but the mode of transmission is wrong and the possible IDs didn't match, even with cut numbers in play, which wouldn't make sense for a time signal anyway. 

Heard at roughly 2330Z, give or take a few minutes, on the isthmus at Madison, WI.  CW signal, on or near 7601kHz, going too fast for me to catch everything, but I tried.  Initially fadey/fluttery but clearing up with time.  What I could pick out was a repeated DRG 6, and an equally repeated DE 3A or possibly 2A ?D, the ? being a missed character I simply could not fish out.  I wondered if the DRG could be a shorthand degree signifier, but it's oddly constructed if that's what it's meant to stand for.  3A suggests somewhere outside the States... if this was Monaco doing something novel, I'm going to fall over. 

Anyone have any ideas who I caught? 

Madison, WI, U.S.A. 
Tecsun PL-660, Yaesu FT60R handheld, and Realistic DX-398 (back up and running!) 
QSL's appreciated 

There's a geeklady turning that dial!
SWLer, MWLer, LW and HF beaconeer, technician class ham, DXer of all bands and program listener. 
RNW forever.